Hong Kong – November. 1, 2012
- Microsoft Hong Kong today debuted Windows Phone 8, the latest version of the company's smartphone operating system. Windows Phone 8 offers a truly personal phone experience, connecting you to the people and things that matter most.
As part of the announcement, Microsoft Hong Kong revealed new features, including Kid's Corner and Rooms, along with details and pricing for a range of beautiful new smartphones from Nokia, Samsung and HTC, each with their own differentiated designs, colors and features. Windows Phone 8 devices will go on sale starting from November globally as well as at mobile network operators and retailers in Hong Kong, including 3HK, PCCW, SmarTone, Broadway, Fortress, Suning and Wilson.
"We can't wait for the world to meet Windows Phone 8, the most personal smartphone there is," said Chester Wong, Director, Consumer Channels Group, Microsoft Hong Kong. "Windows Phone 8 comes on a range of phones that are stunning, colorful and unique."
Most Personal Smartphone
Live Tiles are the heart and soul of Windows Phone, and no other phone has them. People can arrange the iconic Start screen however they want by pinning their favorite people, apps, music, games, photos and more. Three sizes of Live Tiles and 20 bright color choices including cobalt, crimson and lime mean you can personalize your Start screen to be unmistakably yours.
In addition to Live Tiles, Windows Phone 8 offers a range of new features to make your smartphone experience even more personal, including these:
- The only phone with Live Apps. Live Apps bring information right to the Start screen, such as the Groupon deal of the day, flight information and news headlines. With Windows Phone 8, Live Apps such as Facebook can even deliver real-time information right to your lock screen with updated wallpaper.
- Top apps. The Windows Phone Store has 120,000 apps to choose from, with hundreds added every day and hits coming this holiday, such as "Angry Birds Star Wars," "Cut the Rope Experiments," "Disney's Where's My Water," "LivingSocial," "Temple Run," "Urbanspoon" and many more.
- Kid's Corner. Exclusive to Windows Phone 8, Kid's Corner is a worry-free way to share your phone with your kids, so they can play "Angry Birds" without texting your angry boss. Parents can now hand over their phones to the kids without worrying about deleted photos, misdirected emails, unapproved purchases or accidental phone calls. After a simple setup, parents can activate a specialized place on the phone for kids to play — complete with their own customizable Start screens — where they can access only the apps, games, music and videos picked by parents.
- Rooms. Sometimes you want to share and chat with one group, not your entire social network. Rooms allow you to create private groups of people who have Windows Phone 8 — like your family members, best friends or fantasy football league — and easily connect with just them. Chat, share calendars, shopping lists or photos in an ongoing conversation where only those invited can join in. You can share some aspects of Rooms with friends and family on other smartphones as well.
- Always-on, premium Skype experience. With the new Skype app, coming soon to Windows Phone 8, you can make and receive Skype calls just like a regular phone call. Simply tap a friend or family member's contact card in the People Hub, or just pick up when the phone rings. Skype is always on and available so you can choose how to connect with people.
Leading up to today's launch, Nokia, Samsung and HTC have announced an array of phones for Windows Phone 8, featuring large, vivid screens, new camera innovations, NFC capabilities, and bold colors such as red, yellow, blue, black and white1
. Each phone offers unique features and comes in a variety of price points.
Perfect Companion for Your Windows Devices
- Nokia. The Nokia Lumia 920 offers state-of-the-art photography that fits in your pocket, and it is the world's only smartphone to include Optical Image Stabilization. The Nokia Lumia 820 offers a ClearBlack display and removable back exchangeable shells in a range of vibrant colors2. Both the Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 offer wireless charging.
- HTC. The Windows Phone 8X by HTC was designed with sleek lines and radiant colors to match Windows Phone's new Live Tiles. This phone also breaks new ground in optics with 1080p video recording, f2.0 aperture and a dedicated HTC ImageChip on the main 8-megapixel camera and an ultrawide-angle lens on the front camera that lets you fit up to four people in the frame for a premium Skype experience. The 8X and its smaller sibling, the 8S, both boast a killer music experience with Beats Audio and exclusive built-in.
- Samsung. The Samsung ATIV S brings the biggest screen to Windows Phone, with a bright 4.8-inch touch screen and large battery for extended battery life. Wrapped in brushed aluminum, the ATIV S balances high-end materials and technology with a hairline design and light weight.
With a similar look and feel, the same technology core, and the same built-in SkyDrive cloud service, Windows Phone 8 is built to work seamlessly with Windows 8 PCs, Microsoft Surface devices and the Xbox 360 console. For example, now you can edit a document on the go with Windows Phone 8 and pick right up again on your PC when you get home. It's all possible with Windows.
Pricing and Availability
The Windows Phone 8 models listed above will be available from November in Hong Kong at mobile network operators and retailers. Local apps, including Centaline, KMB, now TV and Towngas will also be available by that time, bringing mobile apps that integrate with people's daily lives in Hong Kong.
The Windows Phone blog has even more details on Windows Phone 8 features at www.windowsteamblog.com/windowsphone
. The webcast of the press conference is available for replay at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/windowsphone
1Color availability may vary; see carrier for details.
2Shells sold separately; color availability may vary.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.