Microsoft Corp (MSFT)
Market Cap
52 Week High
52 Week Low 
Supplied by Morningstar Inc
2015 Annual Report
Earnings Release  FY11 Q1
Continued Windows 7 demand drives strong growth
Strong Windows 7 demand drives another quarter of double digit revenue growth
Business PC refresh continues
Enterprise adoption of Windows 7 accelerating
240M+ Windows 7 licenses sold to date

Windows Division revenue growth is largely correlated to the growth of PC purchases from original equipment manufacturers ("OEMs") that pre-install versions of Windows operating systems because the OEM channel accounts for approximately 75% of total Windows Division revenue. The remaining approximately 25% of Windows Division revenue ("other revenue") is generated by commercial and retail sales of Windows and online advertising from Windows Live.

Windows Division revenue increased due to strong sales of Windows 7 and PC market growth. We estimate total worldwide PC shipments from all sources grew approximately 9% to 11%. OEM revenue increased $1.8 billion or 93%. Including revenue and units associated with the Windows 7 Deferral in the prior year, OEM revenue increased $364 million or 11%, while OEM license units increased 5%. The OEM revenue increase was driven by PC market growth, PC market strength among business customers, and the mix of versions of Windows licensed, partially offset by lower Windows attach rates in China and year-over-year changes in inventory in our distribution channels. Other revenue increased $125 million or 13%, driven primarily by commercial and retail sales of Windows 7.

Windows Division operating income grew as a result of increased revenue, offset in part by higher operating expenses. Cost of revenue increased $22 million or 5%, primarily driven by higher traffic acquisition and royalty costs. Sales and marketing expenses increased $22 million or 4% reflecting advertising and marketing of Windows and Windows Live.

Download Segment Information:Excel (27KB)
Windows and Windows Live Division
RESULTS (in millions, except percentages)
Q111 Q110 Change
Revenue $ 4,785 $ 2,880 66%
$ 3,323 $ 1,483 124%
FY11 Earnings Release Schedule
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO USERS (summary only, click here for full text of notice); All information is subject to the more comprehensive information contained in our SEC reports and filings. We do not endorse third-party information. All information speaks as of the last fiscal quarter or year for which we have filed a Form 10-K or 10-Q, or for historical information the date or period expressly indicated in or with such information. We undertake no duty to update the information. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties described in our Forms 10-Q and 10-K.