| Preparing for an Exam |
- The most effective way to prepare to take an exam.
- The relationship between Microsoft training materials and exam content.
- Microsoft policy concerning the incorporation of service pack and revision updates into exam content.
- Exam question types and formats.
- Exam time limits and number of questions asked.
We recommend that you review this preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the FAQs and resources on the Microsoft Certification website before you schedule your exam.
| Exam Topics Covered |
Exam 70-417 is an upgrade exam that is a composite of three stand-alone exams: 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. Exam 70-417 validates skills related to the core technology features and functionality of Windows Server 2012, from the existing knowledge base of a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2008. The topics from each source exam, plus the percentage of material per topic for each exam component, are noted in the following lists.
Exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
- Install and Configure Servers (25%)
- Configure Server Roles and Features (24%)
- Configure Hyper-V (25%)
- Install and Administer Active Directory (26%)
Exam 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
- Deploy, Manage, and Maintain Servers (20%)
- Configure Network Services and Access (20%)
- Configure a Network Policy Server Infrastructure (17%)
- Configure and Manage Active Directory (22%)
- Configure and Manage Group Policy (21%)
Exam 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
- Configure and Manage High Availability (20%)
- Configure File and Storage Solutions (19%)
- Implement Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (22%)
- Configure Network Services (21%)
- Configure Identity and Access Solutions (18%)
(See the "Skills Measured" section of this page to learn more about the detailed test objectives of Exam 70-417)
| Audience Profile |
Exam 70-417 is intended for IT professionals who currently hold one of the following certifications:
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
- MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
At least one of these certifications are prerequisite for this exam. Without that, your transcript will show that you passed the exam but will not show credit for the resulting certification.
Candidates for this exam are Information Technology (IT) Professionals who have Windows Server 2012 operating system knowledge and experience and want to validate the skills and knowledge necessary to implement the Windows Server 2012 core infrastructure services.
| Credit Toward CertificationWhen you pass Exam 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012, you complete the requirements for the following certification(s): |
MCSA: Windows Server 2012Exam 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012: counts as credit toward the following certification(s):
MCSE: Server Infrastructure
MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure
| Note This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. |