"John Robbins, magically combining his expertise as a veteran of debuggers, troubleshooting, low-level Win32 programming and project deadlines alike, comes to the rescue with this badly needed guide to the voodoo world of debugging."
About the Book
Eradicate bugs at the source!
How can you prevent bugs from creeping into your programs—even before you begin writing code? What practices separate the debugging gods from the mere mortals? DEBUGGING APPLICATIONS describes a powerful, Windows®-focused methodology for debugging on the offensive—starting at the requirements phase—so you catch and fix bugs at the source, before customers ever see your software. Expert bugslayer John Robbins reveals lethally effective real-world techniques for resolving just about any debugging problem—from memory bugs and disappearing threads to the hairiest multithreaded deadlock.
• Learn the coding techniques that help you introduce fewer errors into your program and spend less time debugging
• Use version control systems, bug tracking software, and other infrastructure tools to maximize product quality
• Exploit the advanced debugging capabilities in the Microsoft® Visual C++® and Visual Basic® development systems so that you debug faster and more effectively
• Cushion crashes with structured exception handling and C++ exception handling
• Decipher the x86 assembly language you see in the Disassembly window
• Master the tools and tactics for debugging multithreaded deadlocks, cross-machine processes, multilanguage problems, Windows 2000 services and dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) that load into services, and other challenging situations
Along with John’s expert guidance, you also get eight of his battle-tested, professional-level utilities for solving many of the nastiest bugs you’ll encounter. In all, the CD-ROM packs over 2.5 megabytes of source code to study and reuse. With DEBUGGING APPLICATIONS, you’ll learn the proven practices the industry’s best developers use to eradicate bugs at the source—and deliver better software faster!
INCLUDED ON CD-ROM:
You get all the author’s source files—including these custom utilities:
• CrashFinder—locates the source file and line number from just a crash address
• DeadlockDetection—tracks down multithreaded deadlocks
• LIMODS—limits tracing statements to just the ones you want to see
• TraceSrv—gathers all your trace statements from any language on any machine in one place
• Tester—controls your applications for automated regression testing
• CrashHandler—handles fatal errors and helps you exit gracefully
• MDV—dumps and validates your C run-time memory
• WDBG—a full graphical user interface (GUI) debugger that illustrates how debuggers work
You also get a fully searchable electronic version of the book and a handy tear-out reference card for quick information on setting advanced breakpoints in the Visual C++ debugger and for interpreting x86 assembly language.-
Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Deployment Kit: A Microsoft Resource Kit
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Driver Development Kit
Programming Server-Side Applications for Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Number of Ratings: 4