English .img 1.1 GB | Chinese Traditional (ZH-TW) .img 1.0 GB | All Other Languages .img 1.1 GB
Note The Chinese Traditional version may not be distributed in the People’s Republic of China.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is a standalone product that is available on the Microsoft OEM Partner Centre at no charge.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 does not require CALs for the product itself.
- CALs are required for all Windows Server virtualised operating systems that are hosted on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is available in the following languages:
- English (EN-US)
- German (DE-DE)
- Japanese (JA-JP)
- French (FR-FR)
- Spanish (ES-ES)
- Chinese Hong Kong (ZH-HK)
- Chinese Simplified (ZH-CN)
- Korean (KO-KR)
- Portuguese (Brazil) (PT-BR)
- Chinese Traditional (ZH-TW)
- Italian (IT-IT)
- Russian (RU-RU)
Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 is a great choice for customers who want a basic, simplified virtualisation solution for consolidating servers as well as for development and test environments. Hyper-V Server 2008 offers only the most basic of virtualisation features, making it ideal for:
- Testing and development
- Basic server consolidation
- Branch office consolidation
- Hosted desktop virtualisation (VDI)
Customers who require richer and more robust virtualisation features, such as quick migration, multi-site clustering, large memory support (more than 32 GB of RAM) and more than four processors on the host server, should use Windows Server 2008. It provides business continuity, disaster recovery, greater scalability for consolidating large workloads and flexible and cost-effective virtualisation rights (one free virtual instance for Standard Edition, four free virtual instances for Enterprise Editions and unlimited virtual instances for Datacentre Edition with the purchase of a Windows Server 2008 licence).
The Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) helps simplify the preinstallation process and provides options for system builders to use in customising their systems.
This OPK contains documentation for Hyper-V Server 2008. Microsoft Hyper-V Server uses the Windows Server 2008 OPK toolset.
- Insert the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 OPK CD in the CD-ROM drive of the technician computer. If AutoRun does not initialise, open Windows Explorer and click the designated CD-ROM drive, and then double-click StartCD.exe.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 OPK installation requires .NET Framework and MSXML 6.0 (both included on the CD).
- Click OPK Setup to perform the installation.
If you have already installed the OPK Tools from any previous version of Windows, you will need to uninstall the prior version of the OPK Tools and then install the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 OPK Tools.
Return to top
Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 Getting Started Guide .pdf 143 KB
Hyper-V Server is a hypervisor product that provides tools and services you can use to create a virtualised server computing environment. This guide provides instructions for installing Hyper-V Server and configuring a virtual machine.
In this guide
- Requirements for Hyper-V
- Step 1: Install Hyper-V
- Step 2: Create and set up a virtual machine
- Step 3: Install the operating system and integration services
- Step 4: Configuring virtual networks
Known issues are described in the release notes. We recommend that you review the release notes before you install Hyper-V.
View the Hyper-V Server Release Notes on TechNet.
Return to top