Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010, the new name for Microsoft Office Groove, expands
the boundaries of collaboration by allowing fast, anytime, anywhere access to your
Microsoft SharePoint team sites.
Synchronize Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 or Microsoft SharePoint Online1
document libraries with SharePoint Workspace so you can access, view, and edit files
anytime and anywhere from your computer. Lists such as Discussion, Tasks, and custom
lists are supported as well. You can even synchronize Business Connectivity Services
lists so access to your backend systems is even easier2. SharePoint Workspace
2010 ushers in an entirely new way of working with your SharePoint team sites.
Sync with SharePoint sites
With just a few clicks, you can synchronize SharePoint libraries and lists to your
- Access synchronized SharePoint libraries and lists locally on your PC, even when
disconnected from SharePoint.
- Edit content when not connected to SharePoint and your changes are cached — waiting
- Be confident that your changes will automatically synchronize to the server/service
when you’re back on line and connected.
- Save time when uploading and downloading content because SharePoint Workspace only
syncs your changes, not the full document.
- Stay in the know. When files get changed on your SharePoint site, you can see the
latest in SharePoint Workspace.
Add content with Direct Folder Access
- Access your SharePoint document libraries as though they were local Windows folders.
- Work with your files from a SharePoint site, browse them in your local folders,
or even save files from other applications into those same folders.
- Be confident that added files will sync back to your SharePoint site.3
Search all available workspaces
Easily search through your local copies of content using a powerful integration
of Windows Search.
- You can customize your search queries to pinpoint your results exactly.
- Search from the Launchbar, the workspace, or directly from the Windows Start button.
Work together more successfully
When you are connected to SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint Online4,
- Use Check Out / Check In control to limit access to content you are working on.
- Review the title, tags, and keywords added to your content (using SharePoint properties)
that make your content easier to search for and find.
- See version history and even revert to earlier versions, if necessary.
- Co-author in Word 2010 and PowerPoint 2010.
In addition to SharePoint workspaces, you can use Groove workspaces to collaborate
with advanced security directly between team members without SharePoint. Groove
workspaces are the collaborative "peer" workspaces familiar to users of Microsoft
As before, Groove workspaces can have one or more members, and offer a variety of
productivity tools, such as Discussion, Calendar, and Documents.
You can choose between two versions of Groove workspaces: 2010 (which is the default),
and 2007 (for compatibility with Microsoft Office Groove 2007).
Each Groove workspace version lets you add a different collection of tools. It’s
important to note that the workspace versions are mutually exclusive and that the
following restrictions apply: All members of a 2010 workspace must be running Microsoft
SharePoint Workspace 2010. All members of a 2007 workspace must be running Microsoft
Office Groove 2007 or Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010.
Get easier access to the right tools at the right time
New and improved features can help you be more productive, but only if you can find
them when you need them. The Ribbon replaces traditional menus and toolbars with
a fresh, highly visual layout of commands, grouped logically in tabs, to help you
find the features you need fast. The new Ribbon is also customizable to meet your
personal work style.
Use the Ribbon to check out or check in content or to quickly check the version
of a file. Use the new Microsoft Office Backstage™ view to view your Launchbar
or search for content. You can now more easily customize your SharePoint Workspace
2010 experience, all from one convenient location.
Access your information from more places with Office Mobile
SharePoint Workspace Mobile, available as part of Office Mobile, gives you the power
to get things done on your Windows phone:
- View Document libraries and lists: Quickly connect to your SharePoint site and access
content from anywhere.
- Access documents via your phone: Open documents using Office Mobile directly from
SharePoint; edit them and save back to the server easily.
- Access offline and sync changes: You can sync a document to your phone to access
it later. When you do, any changes get saved back to SharePoint automatically.
- Stay up to date: Keep a document synced locally so that when team members change
it, you’ll always be up to date.5
- Stay in sync: You can see all of your content, calendar, and contacts while mobile.
Take a look at the
top 10 ways in which SharePoint Workspace 2010 helps you get things done
easier and faster.
Available in Microsoft Office 365 service plans. Visit
for more information.
Access to external data with Business Connectivity Services requires
SharePoint Server 2010.
Note that your SharePoint Administrator may restrict the file types
and sizes that are allowed.
Available in Microsoft Office 365 service plans.
SharePoint Workspace Mobile is available as part of Office Mobile, which
ships with most Windows phones (6.5 and higher, including Windows Phone 7). You
can also purchase Office Mobile directly from the Mobile Marketplace on your Windows