To uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
- Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
- Click Change or Remove Programs.
- In the list of Currently installed programs, click Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MICROSOFTADS), and then click Remove.
- Add or Remove Programs uninstalls the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (Windows), however it does not delete the database files used by the Controller. To completely remove the Controller database engine files, you must manually delete the database files adsdb.mdf and adsdb_log.ldf from the \ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTADS\Data folder.
Aside from taking up disk space, there is no harm in leaving the Controller database files on your computer. ADS can reuse the database if you reinstall ADS. In addition, if you install the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (Windows) on the computer and create a new ADS database, Setup will back up the database to \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTADS\ADSbackup.dat. If the database is backed up multiple times, this file will contain all of the backups. The most recent database is always contained in adsdb.mdf.
- To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
Install the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine