What to do now
To manually recover from infection by Win32/Msblast.A, perform the following steps:
- Disconnect from the Internet
- End the worm process
- Delete the worm files from your computer
- Delete the worm registry entry
- Restart your computer
- Take steps to prevent re-infection
Disconnect from the Internet
To help ensure that your computer is not actively infecting other computers, disconnect it from the Internet before proceeding. Print this Web page or save a copy on your computer; then unplug your network cable and disable your wireless connection. You can reconnect to the Internet after completing these steps.
End the worm process
Ending the worm process will help stop your computer from infecting other computers as well as resolve the crashing, rebooting, and performance degradation issues caused by the worm.
To end the worm process
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL once and click Task Manager.
- Click Processes and click Image Name to sort the running processes by name.
- Select the process msblast.exe, and click End Process.
Delete the worm files from your computer
After you end the worm process, you should delete the worm code from your computer.
To delete the worm files from your computer
- Click Start, and click Run.
- In the Open field, type %windir%\System32
- Click OK.
- Click Name to sort files by name.
- If msblast.exe is in the list, delete it.
- On the Desktop, right-click the Recycle Bin and click Empty Recycle Bin.
- Click Yes.
This removes the worm code from your computer.
If deleting files fails, use the following steps to verify that msblast.exe is not running:
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL once and click Task Manager.
Click Processes and click Image Name to sort the running processes by name.
- Confirm that msblast.exe is not in the list.
Delete the worm registry entry
To delete the worm registry entry
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- Type regedit and click OK.
- In the left pane, navigate to the key:
In the right pane, right-click the following value, if it exists:
windows auto update
- Click Delete and click Yes to delete the value.
- Close the Registry Editor.
Restart your computer
To restart your computer
On the Start menu, click Shut Down.
Select Restart from the drop-down list and click OK.
Take steps to prevent re-infection
Do not reconnect your computer to the Internet until the computer is protected from re-infection. See the "Preventing Infection" section for more information.