Surface Pro 2, Windows 8.1.
Surface Pro 2 update history
Updates are installed automatically on Surface through Windows Update. Here's a summary of what’s been included in each update so far.
Because updates are cumulative, when you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates if your Surface doesn't have them already. Only updates that apply to Surface will be downloaded and installed.
You can also install updates manually:
|Step 1:||Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Settings.
(If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and click Settings.)
|Step 2:||Tap or click Change PC settings, and tap or click Update and recovery.
|Step 3:||Tap or click Check now.
|Step 4:||If updates are available, tap or click View details.
|Step 5:||Tap or click to select the updates you want to install, and tap or click Install.
You may need to restart your Surface after the updates have installed.
For more info about Windows Update, and to learn how to see which updates you have installed, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
Windows 8.1 Update
Windows 8.1 Update includes improvements to make Windows more familiar and convenient for using touch and mouse input with Surface.
- You don’t need to do anything to get this update. It’s free, and you’ll get it automatically from Windows Update over the next few weeks.
- To see if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button next to your account picture at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.
- To install Windows 8.1 Update manually, follow the steps in Install the latest Windows 8.1 Update. If you can’t install the update manually, you might be missing one or more of the required updates. Install all important updates, in particular KB 2919442, and restart your Surface.
- If you get an error message during the update indicating you don’t have enough disk space available, see Tips to free up disk space.
May 2015 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 5/19/2015” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI update (v220.127.116.11) includes changes needed for compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
- HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4170) improves graphic performance and includes better Miracast (wireless display) support.
- Display Audio driver update (v6.16.00.3172) improves audio experience and supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
January 2015 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 1/15/2015” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI update (v2.05.0150) improves the PXE boot experience with the 1 gigabit Surface Ethernet Adapter and further enhances the system security.
- HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters, and improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
July 2014 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Hardware Update – 7/8/2014” in the Windows Update History.
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.69.24054.176) enables functionality on wireless networks using hidden SSIDs.
June 2014 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 6/10/2014” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v18.104.22.168) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improve compatibility with Power Cover, and increase the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
March 2014 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 3/11/2014” when you view your update history.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.04.0450) improves experience when using BitLocker so that a Surface Cover can provide PIN input.
- Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.262.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update Device (v2.0.268.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
- Surface Cover Telemetry (v22.214.171.124) improves stability and experience for Surface Covers.
- Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller (v14.69.24052.168) resolves wireless network connectivity issues.
- Marvell AVASTAR Wireless Composite Device (v14.69.24052.168) improves Miracast support.
- Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth ®Radio Adapter (v14.69.24052.168) updated as part of a driver package that includes the Marvell Wireless Network Controller and Marvell Wireless Composite Device. There are no Bluetooth updates in this version of the driver.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) improves Miracast support.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3431) improves Miracast support and enables daisy chaining of monitors using DisplayPort 1.2.
- Intel WiDi Audio Device (v126.96.36.199) improves Miracast support.
February 2014 updates
- Surface Display Panel (v188.8.131.52) provides tuning to the Surface display calibration.
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v24.00.50)
- Resolves issue where Surface would not go into hibernation.
- Resolves issue where available battery percentage was reported incorrectly.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.04.0150)
- Resolves issue where Surface would reset upon repeated attaching and detaching of Surface Cover.
- Resolves issue where On Screen Keyboard would unexpectedly pop up even though Surface Cover is attached.
- Resolves issue where Surface Cover is not detected after wake up from sleep.
- Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v184.108.40.206) update improves two-finger touchpad use.
- Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v220.127.116.11) update improves two-finger touchpad use.
January 2014 update
- Updated UEFI firmware, version 2.04.0350, to resolve behavior where the Surface failed to enter sleep while idle, reducing battery life.
October 2013 update
- Performance optimization for Touch Cover 2 and Type Cover 2.
- Battery life improvements.
- System performance and stability improvements.
- Wi-Fi network performance improvements.
- Please help us improve. Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. We're glad this article helped resolve your issue.
Provide feedback on this page
We’re sorry this solution wasn’t helpful.
If you would like further assistance, please visit the Contact Us page.
We are sorry this solution didn't resolve your issue. Thank you for your valuable feedback!
If you would like further assistance, please visit the Contact Us page.