The demonstrations posted on the Microsoft Typography Web site serve two main purposes. Firstly they are designed to stimulate ideas in the minds of Web site designers. Secondly in creating them we have tried to guess the kind of uses people will find for the technology and the problems they will encounter.
One of the first things we noticed was that embedding logotypes is problematic. The Microsoft logo is a single glyph, mapped on to the letter M. So if a page is viewed using an older browser, users will see the letter M displayed rather than the logotype.
A few lines of JScript solves this problem. If the script detects that it is running Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 it will dynamically substitute occurrences of the word Microsoft with the logotype.