Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone
Included with Windows Phone SDK 8, which provides free tools for developers building apps and games for Windows Phone using .NET or DirectX/C++.
Express for Windows Phone
Build epic apps that go anywhere
With Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone, not only can you create experiences that people take with them, but they go places for you, too. .NET apps and games can reuse their business logic across Windows 8, the web (ASP.NET), and Windows Azure so you can move faster.
Build your apps fast with great tools
Windows Phone SDK provides Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone and the assets to build epic apps faster using what you know. Use .NET to build your apps or take full advantage of the platform for your games with DirectX/C++. .NET apps and games can reuse their business logic across Windows 8, the web (ASP.NET), and Windows Azure so developers can move faster.
Windows Phone apps
The Visual Studio 2012 integrated development environment (IDE) simplifies the development of phone apps so you can focus on delighting your users.
Windows Phone Emulator
Once you’ve built your app, test it using the Windows Phone Emulator. You’ll see it the way users will see it in a simulated, real-world environment.
Blend for Windows Phone
Seamless integration with Blend for Windows Phone means you can create unique and compelling apps that will shine in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Use with your existing Visual Studio
With the Visual Studio Add-in you can create end-to-end solutions. Create continuous services to power your apps with cloud-based services. Or share business logic across Windows Phone, Windows 8, or ASP.NET.
Supported operating systems
- Windows 8 (x64)
- 64-bit (x64)
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 4 GB of RAM
- 4 GB of available hard disk space
Windows Phone 8 Emulator
- Windows 8 Pro edition or greater
- Requires a processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
If your computer meets the hardware and operating system requirements, but does meet the requirements for the Windows Phone 8 Emulator, the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 will install and run. However, the Windows Phone 8 Emulator will not function and you will not be able to deploy or test apps on the Windows Phone 8 Emulator.
- To start Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone, click the application in the Apps list. If you have Visual Studio Professional, Premium or Ultimate installed on the computer, the Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone shortcut won't appear. Instead, start your Visual Studio instance as usual and then create Windows Phone SDK 8.0 projects using the installed Windows Phone templates.
- If you try to run a project in Windows Phone Emulator and Hyper-V is not enabled, you will be prompted to turn on Hyper-V. Turning on Hyper-V requires you to restart your computer.