Analyze requests to your website
This walkthrough shows you how to analyze requests to your website using the Requests feature in WebMatrix.
What you'll learn
How to capture requests to your website.
How to search for and filter specific types of captured requests.
How to view more information about a particular request.
How to edit a file that results in an error
How to clear the captured requests.
What you'll need
To run the steps in this procedure you must be running Windows XP SP3 or a later version of Windows. You'll also need to have WebMatrix installed. For information about how to install WebMatrix, see Microsoft Web Platform Installer.
The Requests feature in WebMatrix lets you view the status of requests in real-time, including detailed information like the verb, URL, time elapsed, and more. You can identify where errors are occurring, and resolve these errors immediately. For example, if you see an error in your browser, you can use the Requests feature to see if more information is available about the error. This will help you to diagnose and troubleshoot the error.
Learning About Status Codes
When you analyze requests to your website, WebMatrix may report the following categories of HTTP status codes for the requests:
- Status code 2xx = Success
- Status code 3xx = Information (Redirect)
- Status code 4xx = Error (Client)
- Status code 5xx = Error (Server)
This walkthrough doesn't teach you about specific HTTP status codes. For more information, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article HTTP status codes in IIS 7.0.
Monitoring Your Site
When you make requests, you can view the results in real time so that you can identify errors that are easy to fix, discover dependencies, and learn about your website.
- To start WebMatrix, in Windows, click Start > All Programs > Microsoft WebMatrix > Microsoft WebMatrix.
- On the WebMatrix Quick Start page, open your site by choosing it from My Sites.
Note If you do not already have a site, you can open the default site (Website1) or add a new one by choosing Site from Web Gallery, Site From Template, or Site From Folder.
WebMatrix opens your site. This walkthrough uses the Bakery website as an example.
- On the Home tab, click Requests.
- View your site in a browser by using one of the following:
- On the Home tab, click Run.
- Press F12.
- View the results of your request in the content pane.
While viewing the results, you can also do the following:
- Search the list of results for specific request types, such as "304.0".
- In the ribbon, in the Requests tab, click Only Errors to show only the results that are errors. Click Only Errors again to show the full list of results.
- Click Ignore Images to ignore the results that are related to image errors, such as 404.0 File Not Found, where the image doesn't exist on the Web server. Click Ignore Images again to show the full list of results.
- In the list, select a request to view detailed information about the request, such as the status, details, and recommendations. If the request is an error, this will help you diagnose and fix the cause.
- If the request is an error, click Edit in the subpane to open the file that contains the error and fix the file. You can also click More Information to get more information about the HTTP status code and possible solutions to the error from the Microsoft Support web page.
- After you resolve the error, return to the Site workspace and click the Requests tab again. Click Clear All to remove the cached requests.
When you re-run the page, the resolved error no longer appears in the results list.
- To exit the Requests feature, click the top site node in the left pane.