How to Edit a Site Hosted on Windows Azure with WebMatrix
This article shows you how to open and edit a remote site hosted on Windows Azure in WebMatrix.
Editing an Azure Hosted Site
1. You can open your remote site on Windows Azure either from within WebMatrix or from the Windows Azure management portal.
a. Open from within WebMatrix:
· On the Quick Start page, click Open, and then choose Windows Azure.
· Select the Sign in option.
- · If you have a Microsoft account, enter the credentials and click Sign In. Otherwise, simply click Sign up now. After you’ve obtained a Microsoft account, you can use it to sign in from WebMatrix.
- · After you’ve signed in, select your Azure website from the list and click OK.
b. Open from Windows Azure management portal
- · Sign in at Windows Azure portal and select the site you want to edit
- · Click on WebMatrix button
- · If WebMatrix is not yet installed, you will be presented with the option to install it.
Review the license terms and select “I agree to the license terms”.
- · When the site is first opened in WebMatrix, you will be presented with two options: (1) Edit live site directly or (2) Edit local copy.
Select “Edit live site directly” if you want to edit the remote site.
At any time, you can switch to downloading a copy for local development and testing instead.
2. The site will now open remotely. You can see the list of folders and files that are on your remote site in the left pane.
Double click on any file you want to edit or use Find (Ctrl+F) and Replace to search for any text you are looking for and edit it.
3. After you have edited a file and click Save (CTRL+S), WebMatrix automatically saves the file back to the remote site while you can continue making other changes.
Editing a remote site with WebMatrix is so lightweight and painless, it feels as if you are editing a local site! Besides the speed and basic editing capabilities, you’ll also get the basic code completion support for PHP, Node.js, and ASP.NET.
4. If you close a site and want to access it later, you can quickly open it from the File menu (File > Open > Windows Azure) or from the Quick Start page when WebMatrix loads (Open > Windows Azure).
5. If you want to download the site to make changes and test them locally, you can click the Download button on the Remote tab. This will automatically download the entire site and install any dependencies that are needed for the site to run!
If you’re running into difficulties when editing remote sites or publishing to them, read our troubleshooting guide.