Publish and Edit a Remote Site with WebMatrix 2 Beta
Starting with WebMatrix 2 Beta, you can now publish and directly edit remote sites. If you want a local copy of your site, you can also sync it to any local location.
In This Article
To run the steps we show here, you need the following:
- An existing WebMatrix site.
- Access to a remote server, likely through your hosting provider.
- A publish profile (see below) or details about the remote server, including the server name, user name and password for that server, and the site name.
Tip: If you have an account with a hosting provider, they might make available a publish profile, which is a file that contains details about the server. If you have a publish profile file, in WebMatrix, you can import that file instead of entering publish information by hand.
If you need free hosting, see <link>.
Publishing Your Site (top)
- In WebMatrix, open a site.
- On the Home tab, click the Publish button.
- If you have a publish settings file from your hosting provider, import it using the Import publish settings link on the right side of the dialog. Otherwise, enter the settings for the remote server.
- When you save the settings, if the remote server has a temporary certificate, you see the following dialog box. If you do, click Accept Certificate.
- After you're connected, you're prompted to test compatibility. This uploads a few files to ensure that your site will run.
- Click Yes. WebMatrix runs the publish compatibility test. When it's done, results are displayed.
- When the compatibility test is complete, click Continue. You will see a preview of the files that will be published.
This may take some time, depending on your network connection. If you're sure you want to publish the entire site, you can skip the preview by clicking the Continue button. Publishing begins and you see the progress in the notification bar.
Opening a Remote Site (top)
You might have a site on a remote server and but no local copy. If you want to view or edit your remote files, you can open the remote site directly.
- Start WebMatrix.
- On the Start page, click the Open Site button.
- In the pop-up menu, choose Open Remote Site.
- Enter your remote settings, either by importing a publish profile file from your hosting provider or by entering the server information.
- Choose a unique name for the site. Note: (This name will be shown in My Sites the next time you start WebMatrix.)
Editing a Remote Site (top)
To edit remote files, you switch to a view that lets you see and open files on the remote site.
- In the ribbon, switch to the Remote tab.
- Click the Open Remote View button to switch to the remote view.
- Double-click a file to open it. A copy of the file is downloaded to a local directory.
- Edit the file, and then click the Save button in the ribbon (or press Ctrl+S). The file is saved to the remote server. If your network connection is slow, this may take some time.
- Click the Run button or press F12 to run the remote site in the browser. To run only the file you're working on, press Ctrl+F12 or right-click the file and choose Open in Browser.
- To exit the remote view, click the Close Remote View button. When you exit the view, WebMatrix displays your local site again.
Syncing Your Local and Remote Sites (top)
Syncing a local and remote site is useful when you have made changes to the remote site (or someone else has) and you want to copy the changes to your local site.
- In the Remote tab in the ribbon, click the Sync Local to Remote button. You see a preview of all the files that will be downloaded. Depending on the speed of your network connection, this may take some time. When the sync process downloads the remote files, it will overwrite files in the local site that have the same name.
- To begin the download, click Continue. Downloading starts and you progress is displayed in the notification bar.
Learn More about WebMatrix 2 Beta
If you want to learn more about other great features in WebMatrix 2 Beta, check out some of these articles: