Become a Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft Certified Trainers (MCTs) are the premier technical and instructional experts in Microsoft technologies. Join this exclusive group of Microsoft technical training professionals and reap the benefits of training certification and membership, including access to the complete library of official Microsoft training and certification products; substantial discounts on exams, books, and Microsoft products; readiness resources and access to a members-only online community; and invitations to exclusive events and programs.
Why should you become an MCT?
Ninety-three percent of US companies say they are “not where they want to be” in terms of IT skills (CompTIA, State of the IT Skills Gap, February 2012)
Eighty-six percent of hiring managers factor in certifications when making hiring decisions. (CompTIA, Employer Perceptions of IT Training and Certification, January 2011)
Four out of five IT managers believe effective training is critical to the success of a project. (IDC, MarketScape, Worldwide IT Education and Training Vendor Analysis, February 2012)
As a Microsoft Certified Trainer, you need to earn a Microsoft Certification validating your experience and knowledge in using Microsoft products and solutions for each course you deliver.
Training certification program and requirements
The Microsoft Certified Trainer program is an annual membership program. You must complete an online application, pay an annual fee, and meet program requirements to renew your training certification for the coming year.
Your regional service center can answer questions about the certification process and the program requirements.
- MCT benefits
As a Microsoft Certified Trainer, you gain access to a personalized benefits and exams dashboard, where you can find a wide variety of useful resources, download your MCT certificate and MCT program logos, and engage with the MCT community.
Ongoing benefits and support
Your benefits and exams dashboard connects you to the latest news and resources, including trainer readiness resources, announcements about exams, and Microsoft training and certification products. Explore MCT benefits, including:
- MCT Central. Exclusive to MCTs, MCT Central offers both technical readiness and soft skills training materials to help MCTs prepare for teaching Microsoft courses, plus easy access to product and program resources. In addition, MCT Central helps MCTs stay up to date on the latest news, find a job, or connect with other MCTs around the world.
- MCT prep kits. Access online trainer preparation packs containing helpful downloadable content for teaching courseware, including videos, slide decks, and courseware content, in a helpful OneNote format.
- Microsoft Download Center. Receive comprehensive access to the entire Microsoft library of training and certification materials.
- Courseware Marketplace. Access digital versions of available Microsoft courses and student guides.
- MCT community. Join exclusive private communities for peer support and networking, and communicate with the Microsoft training and certification team.
- Courseware support. Get direct Microsoft support for questions on official Microsoft training and certification products.
Microsoft and other partner organizations offer products, services, and events exclusive to MCTs. Please keep in mind that some offers may not be available in all countries or regions and that all offers are subject to change. For the latest listings, see your benefits and exams dashboard.
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exam discounts. MCTs receive a 50-percent discount off of MCP exams. To obtain your 50-percent discount voucher, go to the exam list, choose the exam you wish to take, and then select Schedule with Pearson VUE. Your discount is automatically applied.
- Pursue a Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification—at no cost. Every 12 months, MCTs can request one free MOS exam voucher to help keep current on MOS 2007, 2010, or 2013 certification. To receive your voucher, email your name, Microsoft Certification ID (MCID), and location (state and country/region) to MCTOffer@microsoft.com. You will receive your voucher, plus assistance in finding a local test center, directly from Certiport. (You must register to become a Certiport user.)
- Microsoft Labs Online (MLO). MCTs receive free access to Microsoft Labs Online to support trainer readiness.
Microsoft Certified Trainer exam discounts. Microsoft values MCTs and is committed to helping them remain current with their certifications. When you schedule an exam with Pearson VUE using your Microsoft account credentials, your discount will automatically be applied.
Note The MCT discount does not apply to Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) or Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) exams.
- Early invitations to Microsoft Certification beta exams. Be among the first to earn new certifications by taking certification exams before they are available to the public. Please note that we offer a limited number of beta exam vouchers, and they are allocated on a "first come, first served" basis.
- Free access to Microsoft e-learning. Learn new technologies and experience different delivery techniques by taking courses through Microsoft e-Learning.
- Large discounts on Microsoft Press Store books. Receive a 40-percent discount on all printed books and a 50-percent discount on all e-books in the Microsoft Press Store catalog.
- Exclusive invitations to industry events. Apply for the opportunity to participate as an MCT Ambassador at Microsoft and other industry events around the world, and help attendees achieve certification by delivering Exam Prep sessions or by staffing a Microsoft training and certification booth or certification area onsite.
- Invitations to join beta programs for Microsoft software. Learn about new Microsoft products by getting hands-on experience with a beta version.
- MCT Software & Services subscription
MCT Software & Services subscriptions are uniquely tailored to provide exclusive access to resources that help you, as an MCT, further develop your technical expertise and training skills. These subscriptions provide MCTs with exclusive access to Microsoft technologies.
Two subscriptions are available, depending on your specific training focus, and they provide you with a breadth of resources, including software downloads and Microsoft Azure monthly credits.
- MCT Software & Services is designed for MCTs who deliver IT Pro and Office training. This subscription provides access to the latest Microsoft services, including Office 365 and Azure, in addition to the ability to download thousands of software titles to support training prep needs. If you do not possess a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) certification or a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) certification, you are eligible for an MCT Software & Services subscription.
- MCT Developer Software & Services is designed for MCTs who deliver developer training. This subscription provides access to the latest tools and services to train developers on the Microsoft platform. To be eligible for an MCT Developer Software & Services subscription, you need to possess one of the following certifications:
For more details on MCT Software & Services, see your benefits and exams dashboard. With either subscription, you get access to core Microsoft products for training use, including Office, Windows, SharePoint, SQL Server, and other resources valued at up to $15,000 USD.
MCT Software & Services subscriptions automatically terminate upon expiration or termination of your current MCT program agreement, whichever is earliest. These subscriptions come with training use rights only and enable an MCT to prepare for training delivery. MCT Software & Services subscriptions do not allow the software or services provided to be used in a production setting, including commercial use or in a classroom. The MCT program certifications and qualifications, along with their associated MCT Software & Services subscriptions, are subject to change as determined by the MCT program.
The MCT program is for educators around the world who actively deliver training on Microsoft technologies. If you possess a qualifying certification or qualification, and you are passionate about delivering training on Microsoft technologies, we encourage you to consider applying.
For detailed information regarding MCT program requirements, review the MCT Program Guide and MCT Program Agreement in the Application process section of this page.
MCT program entry requirements
- Possess a current Microsoft Certification or qualification eligible for the MCT program.
Demonstrate instructional Skills verified by one of the following:
Instructional Skills certification:
- CompTIA CTT+
- IAMCT Approved Technical Trainer (IAMCT ATT)
- Microsoft Certified Trainer Instructional Skills Certification (MCT-ISC)
- IPM (Institut für Personalberatung und Managemententwicklung)
- New Horizons Instructional Skills Certification
- Netcom Learning Instructional Skills Certification
- Global Knowledge Instructional Skills Certification
- Learning and Performance Institute Trainer Performance Monitoring and Assessment (TPMA)
- CEGOS Group
- PrepMasters USA
- Instructional Skills certification:
- Provide reference supporting at least one year of instructional experience
Note To renew as an MCT, you must meet the MCT program renewal requirements by your anniversary date.
MCT program renewal requirements
- Possess a current Microsoft Certification or qualification eligible for the MCT program.
- Meet the minimum instruction requirement of teaching at least one class, as validated by Metrics that Matter (MTM).
- Meet the instruction quality requirement of an average quality score of at least seven, as validated by MTM.
Note The renewal requirements, including instruction quantity and quality, are subject to change.
Current Microsoft Certifications and qualifications eligible for the MCT program
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM)
- Microsoft Certified Master (MCM)
- Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA)
- Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
Microsoft Dynamics qualifications
- AX Dynamics Applications
- AX Dynamics Developer
- AX Dynamics Installation and Configuration
- CRM Dynamics Applications
- CRM Dynamics Technical
- GP Dynamics
- NAV Dynamics Applications
- NAV Dynamics Technical
- SL Dynamics
Microsoft Office certifications
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Master: 2007, 2010, and 2013
- MOS Expert: Excel 2007, 2010, and 2013
- MOS Expert: Word 2007, 2010, and 2013
Note Microsoft Certifications and qualifications eligible for the MCT program are subject to change.
- Application process
If you are interested in becoming an MCT, please review the MCT Program Guide and the MCT Program Agreement to understand the terms of membership. Then, apply for the program using the MCT enrollment tool.
Enrollment and renewal guide
- MCT Program Guide 2014
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Brazilian Portuguese)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (French)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (German)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Italian)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Japanese)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Korean)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Spanish)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Simplified Chinese)
- MCT Program Guide 2014 (Traditional Chinese)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Brazilian Portuguese)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (French)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (German)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Italian)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Japanese)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Korean)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Spanish)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Simplified Chinese)
- MCT Program Agreement 2014 (Traditional Chinese)
Note All content is in English unless otherwise noted.
The MCT online application is available from the MCT enrollment tool.
If you are a Microsoft Office Specialist and do not have a Microsoft Certification ID (MC ID), obtain one by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Then, go to the MCT enrollment tool. Before you complete your online application, review the MCT enrollment details in the section that follows.
Note In some regions, to start the online application process, you need to work with your regional service center. If you are a resident of any of these regions, you can find instructions on how to proceed in the MCT enrollment tool.
Use the MCT enrollment tool to:
- Review the MCT program requirements, and sign the MCT Program Guide and Agreement. Your electronic signature validates your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of the MCT Agreement.
- Update your profile information. The contact information that you provide is used for MCT communications.
- Specify your employment status. If you are employed by a Learning Partner or IT Academy, you need your employer's Learning Partner or IT Academy ID number.
- Select your payment method. Program fees vary, depending on your country/region and employment status. To find the MCT and MCT Alumni membership fees for your country/region, use the lookup tool at the end of the page.
Note If you are an employee of a Learning Partner and your employer will pay your MCT program fee, follow these steps:
- Confirm that your employer has agreed to pay your fee.
- On the Employment Status page, select the option to have your employer pay your enrollment fee.
- Verify that the correct Microsoft Learning Partner program name is displayed.
- When you select your payment type, do not select credit card.
- Save your invoice. Give a copy of it to your employer to submit with your fee payment. Your employer can pay by credit card.
After you submit your application, watch for an email confirmation that it has been received. You can then access MCT content on your benefits and exams dashboard.
- MCT Alumni program
For more than two decades, MCTs have been at the forefront of Microsoft technology training and adoption. In recognition of their significant contributions, we offer the MCT Alumni program. This program is for all MCTs in good standing with Microsoft who no longer train as part of the MCT program and who desire to maintain their relationship with the MCT community.
Requirements for the MCT Alumni program:
- Current or prior participation in the MCT program
- In good standing with Microsoft
Program fees vary depending on your country/region and employment status. To find the MCT and MCT Alumni membership fees for your country/region, use the lookup tool at the end of the page.
MCT Alumni benefits
As an MCT Alumni member, you have exclusive access to the MCT Alumni content on your benefits and exams dashboard. You also have access to MCT Central, where you can find news, events, and a wide variety of resources tailored for MCT Alumni and where you have the opportunity to engage with the whole MCT community.
The MCT Alumni benefits include:
- Discounts on e-learning, so you can stay current on the latest products and technology and to help you prepare for current exam certifications.
- Exam discount vouchers, to help keep your MCP certification current and to facilitate re-entry into the MCT program.
- Access to discounts on e-books and books, which provide reference resources for exam preparation and professional development.
MCT Alumni application process
If you are interested in becoming a member of the MCT Alumni, please review the MCT Alumni Program Agreement to understand the terms of membership.
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Brazilian Portuguese)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (French)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (German)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Italian)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Japanese)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Korean)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Spanish)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Simplified Chinese)
- MCT Alumni Program Agreement 2014 (Traditional Chinese)
Note All content is in English unless otherwise noted.
Apply for MCT Alumni membership through the MCT enrollment tool.
Note Some regions require that you work with your local regional service center to start the online application process.
Use the MCT enrollment tool to do the following:
- Sign the MCT Alumni Program Agreement. Your electronic signature validates your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of the MCT Alumni Program Agreement.
- Update your profile information. The contact information that you provide is used for MCT Alumni communications and mailings.
- Select your payment method. Program fees vary depending on your country/region and employment status. To find the MCT and MCT Alumni membership fees for your country/region, use the lookup tool at the end of the page.
After you submit your application, watch for an email confirmation that it has been received. You can then access MCT Alumni content on your benefits and exams dashboard.
Moving from MCT Alumni to MCT
MCT Alumni are welcome to rejoin the MCT program when they return to active training.
To return as an MCT:
- Be sure that you meet the MCT program requirements. Check your transcript against the current Microsoft Certifications and qualifications eligible for the MCT program.
- Cancel your MCT Alumni membership. Contact your regional service center, and ask them to cancel your current MCT Alumni membership.
- Apply for entry to the MCT program. MCT Alumni can either provide proof of the instructional skills certification they obtained to support their prior application to the MCT program, or they can submit a reference validating at least one year of instructional experience. This reference can be from a former customer, manager, or colleague.
- MCT and MCT Alumni program fees
Find the annual MCT program fees and introductory MCT Alumni fees for your country/region. If you are employed by a Microsoft Certified Partner for Learning Solutions or a Microsoft IT Academy, you qualify to receive a 25-percent discount on the fee.
Note Microsoft charges any applicable taxes for your country/region, in addition to the program fee.
Updated: September 17, 2015
Learn the benefits of certification
"I highly recommend Microsoft Certification because it is the best way to show people what you know."
Erdal Ozkaya | Microsoft Certified Trainer | Australia