Frequently asked questions
With Office 365 subscription plans you get the premium Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access (Publisher and Access are available on PC only). You can install Office 365 across multiple devices, including PCs, Macs, Android™ tablets, Android phones, iPad®, and iPhone®. In addition, with Office 365 you get services like online storage with OneDrive, Skype minutes for home use, and advanced Outlook.com security. When you have an active Office 365 subscription, you always have the most up-to-date version of the Office applications. Learn more about Office 365.
You can check if your device can support your version of Office by viewing the full Office system requirements.
No. Office applications are tailored to work best on each platform and device. The Office applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users.
Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, OneDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, and Outlook.com. If you use any of these services, you already have a Microsoft account that you can use, or you can create a new account. Learn more about a Microsoft account. As part of signing up for a trial or purchasing Office, you will be prompted to sign in with a Microsoft account. You must be signed in with this account to install and manage your Office software, or to use some subscription benefits, including OneDrive storage and Skype minutes.
Users can activate 1 subscription for Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal and up to 25 licenses for Office Home & Student 2019, Office Home & Business 2019, and Office Professional 2019.
About Office trials
Yes. You can sign up to try Office 365 Home for free for a month on the Office website. (Note that a credit card is required for the free trial.) The trial gives you access to all the features of Office 365 Home. It includes:
- Full Office desktop applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for Windows PCs).
- 1 TB of additional OneDrive cloud storage so you can save documents, photos and videos online and access them from nearly anywhere.
- 60 Skype minutes that you can use to call mobile phones and landlines. See the list.
1. Create or sign in with an existing Microsoft account. What is a Microsoft account?
If you signed up for the trial via the Office website, visit the Microsoft Account site and turn off auto-renew. With this approach, the trial will automatically expire when your month is finished and your credit card will not be charged.
It depends on how you signed up for the trial:
- If you signed up via the Office website, and if auto-renew is enabled on the Microsoft Account site, your service will continue uninterrupted and your payment method will be automatically charged at the end of the trial, and then monthly thereafter. You do not need to re-install Office.
- If you signed up by clicking an icon on your new PC, your trial ends automatically after a month; it isn’t necessary to cancel it. When the trial ends, you’ll be prompted to choose which version of Office you want to purchase.
Not immediately. For example, if you had a trial of Office 365 Personal, you can’t sign up for a trial of Office 365 Home. However, one year after your trial or paid subscription ends, you can sign up for a new trial.
Product keys, redemption, and activation
After you associate your Product Key to your Microsoft account, you can sign in to accounts.microsoft.com to install and manage Office. But it's a good idea to keep your Product Key in a secure location as proof of purchase or to help our support agents trace your product.
If you add the same Office 365 subscription to your Microsoft account, you’ll have the same subscription benefits (same number of Office 365 devices you can sign in to, the same amount of Skype minutes and same OneDrive storage) as before. By purchasing another subscription, you're extending the amount of time for that subscription, not increasing the number of Office 365 devices you can sign in to or amount of online storage you get. You can extend the duration of an Office 365 subscription for up to 5 years. Click here to learn more.
Language support for Office
Office 365 plans are available in most countries/regions. In countries/regions where Office 365 plans are not available, you can still buy an Office 2019 suite. When buying Office 365, it’s important that you select the country/region in which you will be billed and in which you’ll use the software. Selecting a different country/region may cause problems with subscription setup and renewal.
- For PCs running Windows: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Mac: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English (United States), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
- For iOS: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- For Android: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Catalan, Kannada, Malayalam, Persian, Tamil, and Telugu.
Microsoft offers simple and cost-effective solutions for multilingual individuals, families, and small businesses.
- Office 365: Each time you install Office on an additional PC or Mac at accounts.microsoft.com, you can choose the language in which to install Office.
- Office 2019: You can install language accessory packs after installing Microsoft Office, to add additional display, help, or proofing tools. Learn more about the Language Accessory Pack for Office.
OneDrive is an online storage service that you can use to store documents, notes, photos, music, videos, or other types of files. With OneDrive you can access your files from nearly any device and you can share them with others. Sign up for OneDrive.
- Customers with an active Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per subscription.
- Customers with an active Office 365 Home subscription receive an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage per user, for up to 6 users. Each additional user must have their own Microsoft account and be added to the Microsoft Account site.
To access documents stored on OneDrive, sign in to Office with the Microsoft account that you used to set up Office 365. If you have shared your Office 365 Home subscription with other members of your household, they should sign in with their Microsoft account. Learn more about signing in to Office. You can also sign in to OneDrive directly at OneDrive.com.
If you cancel your subscription or if it expires, you can still access and download all your files by signing in to OneDrive directly using the Microsoft account you used to set up Office 365. You do lose the additional storage that comes with your subscription, so you must save your files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage if your OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota.
They lose the additional OneDrive storage, but they can still access and download all files. If their OneDrive account exceeds the free storage quota, they'll need to save files elsewhere or buy more OneDrive storage.
About Skype minutes
With Skype minutes you can call friends or family on their mobile phone or landline, whether they have a Skype account or not.
- Both landlines and mobile phones: Canada, China, Guam, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Thailand, and the United States.
- Landlines only: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Croatia, Colombia (excl. Lex), Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia (Jakarta), Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, and Venezuela.
Skype offers a variety of pay-as-you-go and subscription options to supplement Skype minutes. Visit www.skype.com for more details.
You can choose to apply your Skype minutes to a new or existing Skype account. To activate your Skype minutes, visit accounts.microsoft.com and then follow the onscreen instructions to either create a new Skype account or to use an existing one. You will see a confirmation at accounts.microsoft.com when the minutes have been activated.
Download and install Office
To install Office 365 or Office as a one-time purchase, visit accounts.microsoft.com on the PC or Mac that you want to install Office on. Sign in with the Microsoft account that you used to purchase, or have already associated, with the subscription or one-time purchase product, and then follow the onscreen instructions to install Office. Learn more about how to install Office.
You’ll need to determine which Office product keys correspond to each PC. Learn more.
Office 365 Home subscriptions can be shared with up to six users on multiple devices such as PCs or Macs, tablets, and smartphones.
Learn about which Office versions can work side-by-side on the same device in this article.
- Windows 7: Start menu
- Windows 8: Start screen and Apps view (the view under the Start screen that includes all apps installed on a PC)*
- Windows 8.1: Apps view*
*If you cannot find your icons in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, go to the Start screen and type the name of the application you want to launch (for example, Word).
- Windows 10: Start menu. You can also type the name of the application you want to launch (for example, Word) in Cortana.
You can also pin an application shortcut to your Start screen or your desktop taskbar for convenient access. Learn more.
- Mac OS X
- 10.6 (Snow Leopard): Dock
- 10.7 (Lion): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.8 (Mountain Lion): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.9 (Mavericks): Dock and Launchpad
- 10.10 (Yosemite): You can start the applications by clicking the application icons which can be found in the Launchpad and Applications folder in Finder.
The 32-bit version of Office is installed by default.
To uninstall Office, first visit accounts.microsoft.com, and follow the onscreen instructions to deactivate Office. Deactivating Office leaves the Office applications on your PC in read-only mode, which means that you can view documents but can't edit or save them, and you can’t create new documents. To remove Office entirely, go to your PC's Control Panel and uninstall Office. For Mac, iPad, and Android tablets, follow the instructions on that device to uninstall an application.
- Office 365 customers can download or reinstall from accounts.microsoft.com.
- You may order a DVD back-up copy for the latest release Office products for a fee. Visit www.office.com/backup for details.
Get the core Office experience for free on your favorite tablets and phones. To find and download apps, visit the following pages: Office for iPad, Office for iPhone, Office for Android tablet, and Office for Android phone. For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps, get premium features with an eligible Office 365 subscription. For information about the premium features for mobile devices that are available with Office 365, visit www.office.com/information.
Office 365 customers with an active subscription always get the newest versions of the Office applications when they are available. When we release a new version of Office, you will be notified that you have the option to update your software to the latest version.
The latest version, Office 2019 for Mac, is now available to Office 365 subscribers as part of your subscription. To install Office 2019 for Mac, go to accounts.microsoft.com and follow the instructions there.
Managing your Office 365 subscription
To manage your billing information, renew or cancel Office, install or remove Office from your PCs or Macs, and/or manage Office on other devices at any time, visit accounts.microsoft.com.
If you purchased an auto-renew subscription, your subscription starts when you complete your purchase. Auto-renew subscriptions may be purchased from Office365.com, MicrosoftStore.com, the iTunes® Store, and some other retailers.
If you have an active Office 365 Home subscription, you can share it with up to five members of your household. Each household member you share your subscription with can use their PCs, Macs, iPads, Android tablets, Windows tablets, iPhones®, or Android phones, get an additional 1 TB of OneDrive storage, and manage their own installs at accounts.microsoft.com.
Your Microsoft account can only have one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription before your Office 365 Home subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 Home subscription will be converted to the Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription (whichever you have chosen). However, you will immediately lose the Office 365 Home benefits of sharing Office with 5 other users, so you may choose to wait until your Office 365 Home subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. If you activate your Office 365 Personal subscription before your Office 365 University subscription expires, the remaining time on your Office 365 University subscription will be converted to Office 365 Personal.
Your Microsoft account can have only one active subscription. You can either convert your Office 365 Home subscription to Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University, or you can wait until your current subscription expires before activating your Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University subscription.
As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. If you choose to let your subscription expire, the Office software applications enter read-only mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you can’t create new documents or edit existing documents.
Renewals, cancellations, and billing
You will be notified before you’re charged when it’s time to renew an annual subscription. If you are signed up for a monthly subscription, your payment will be automatically debited each month and you won’t be notified in advance. You can change your payment method or cancel your subscription at any time by visiting the Microsoft Account site and signing in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
- If auto-renew is enabled for your subscription, it will renew automatically. Your auto-renew setting is shown on the Microsoft Account site after you sign in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office.
- If auto-renew is not enabled, visit www.office.com/renew to purchase an Office 365 auto-renew subscription. The additional time will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
- To renew through the retailer that you purchased Office 365 from, return to that retailer and purchase another pre-paid one-year subscription. Follow the setup instructions included in the packaging – they are the same for setting up a new subscription. The additional year will be automatically added to the remaining time on your existing subscription.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from Microsoft via MicrosoftStore.com or Office365.com, you have two options for cancelling:
- You can cancel online by visiting the Microsoft Account site, signing in with the Microsoft account that you used to buy Office, and then turning off auto-renew. With this approach, your subscription will automatically expire when your remaining subscription time is up.
- To cancel immediately, contact Microsoft support and request an immediate cancellation.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from Apple via the iTunes Store, you will need to cancel your subscription with Apple. Learn more.
- If you purchased an auto-renew subscription from another retailer, you may have to cancel your subscription with that retailer. You can confirm this by visiting the Microsoft Account site.