Licensing options for service providers
The Microsoft Services Provider License Agreement (SPLA) is for service providers and independent software vendors (ISVs) who want to license the latest eligible Microsoft software products to provide software services and hosted applications to end customers.
Licenses under the SPLA are non-perpetual (or subscription) licenses that can be used during the term of the agreement. The following licensing models are available for offering Microsoft licensed products to customers:
- Per Subscriber: A Subscriber Access License (SAL) is required for each unique individual user or device that is authorized to access or otherwise use the licensed products. With the SAL option, a separate Server License is not needed.
- Per Processor: Each Processor License allows an unlimited number of users to access the software that is installed on that processor for products licensed through a per processor model.
- Per Core: Each Core License (CL) allows an unlimited number of users to access the server software installed on the server with a determined number of physical cores for products licensed through a per core model.
- Per Guest/Host Licensing Model: The Host/Guest licensing model requires both host licenses and guest licenses. Host licenses are required for your “host fabric,” a collection of physical and virtual operating system environments (OSEs) that are configured and operated as a unit to provide virtualization, networking, management, website, and file services. Guest licenses are required for your guest virtual OSEs.
- Per Processor for Host: License the hardware per processor for the host fabric in which an instance can run
- Per Instance for Guest: License for each virtual instance that runs on the host
- Product-Specific Licensing: Download the Hosted Microsoft Office licensing brief (PDF, 149 KB) for answers to common questions about hosted Microsoft Office in partner-hosting scenarios. It covers the required licensing components for providing a partner-hosted Office solution to customers.