Now, more than ever, secure, professional email hosting services are critical to organisations’ success. And whether you own a startup, a small business or run an enterprise organisation, hosted email can help you – and your team – be more productive at the office, on the road, and everywhere in between.
Of course, not all business email hosting services are created equally. And while there is no one-size-fits-all solution, there are some considerations that can make choosing an email hosting service easier, and ultimately give your business the tools it needs to succeed. Let’s take a look at what a startup, a small business or an enterprise organisation, should look for in a hosted email solution.
Small- and mid-sized businesses
When it comes to choosing email server hosting for your small- or mid-sized business, you may be inclined to select one of the free services available. After all, “free” gives you the services you need and keeps your budget in check, right? It can, of course, but there are some pitfalls to choosing a free service that you may not be aware of. For instance:
- Unprofessional Image: When you communicate with clients or other organisations using an email address with a FreeEmailHost.com extension, you run the risk of making an unprofessional impression.
- Credibility: Likewise, with email hosting services that allow you to use an email address that ends with a YourCompanyName.com extension, you’re able to simultaneously achieve credibility and professionalism.
- Hacking: Many free hosted email solutions lack important security measures necessary for conducting business safely. In addition to exposing your company to hackers, without the right safeguards in place, these types of services can also leave everyone you communicate with vulnerable – which will ultimately impact your working relationships, and possibly your bottom line.
Although free business email hosting services won't cost you a dime, they could cost you dearly in the end. Fortunately, many paid solutions are low cost and effective. So, if you're able to invest just a few dollars a month, you could gain a great deal of security, as well as a range of other services that will make your business run more smoothly. Such as:
- Custom email domain extensions that allow you to assign email addresses such as Name@YourBusinessName.com
- Enterprise-level security with multi-factor authentication and the ability to securely access your messages remotely
- Calendars and contact lists that are both secure and sharable among your organisation's employees
- Secure cloud storage that allows you to safely access your files from virtually anywhere, share them with your team and stay on track, no matter where you are
- Anytime professional support that can help you solve problems quickly and easily
Unlike small- to mid-sized businesses, enterprise organisations often have hundreds of employees that may work across the country or around the world. And while it only seems logical that an organisation of such magnitude would want to use the most secure email hosting service possible, many have not. And the results have been catastrophic.
For instance, in Sept. 2016 a large free email service disclosed a security breach that ultimately impacted at least 1 billion customers, or roughly one-third of worldwide internet users, according to Wired.com. And during the 2016 Presidential Election, it was revealed that a phishing scheme targeting John Podesta, Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, opened up the Democratic National Committee to a calamitous, and very public, hack. (Read more at TheVerge.com.) Sadly, according to a report by NBCNews.com attacks on corporations, government agencies and individuals is only expected to rise.
For an enterprise-level organisation, this means that protecting your company from security breaches is more important than ever. In order to keep your data – and your staff – safe, look for email server hosting that delivers state-of-the-art protection, as well as the services you need. Such as:
- A business-class email solution with always up-to-date virus and malware protection
- Unlimited mailboxes that allow your teams to send, receive, and archive important messages – no matter how large their mailboxes may become.
- Restricted email forwarding with a policy-based solution that helps protect emails against unauthorised access.
- 24/7 customer support that allows your team to address questions or issues as they arise
Choosing the right business email hosting services for your small- or mid-sized business, or an enterprise organisation is not only critical to communicating with your clients and your team, but it can impact the safety and security of your entire company. By selecting a product, like Microsoft Exchange, businesses can benefit from multi-factor authentication, always up-to-date virus and malware protection, restricted email forwarding, custom email domains, 24/7 support, and more. Find out how to get state-of-the-art email server hosting for your company, regardless of size.