- 07 April 2014Published:
- English, JapaneseLanguages:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- Microsoft System Center 2012 and Microsoft System Center 2012 R2Technology:
- MCP, MCSECredit towards certification:
Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area in the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area in the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification Program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Centre.
- Design and deploy System Center (15–20%)
Design a scalable System Center architecture
- Planning for capacity, high availability, scalability, business continuity, delegation and disaster recovery; assess the current datacentre environment; identify the appropriate System Center components for the private cloud implementation
Install the System Center Infrastructure
- Install prerequisites required for System Center; install System Center components
Upgrade System Center components
- In-place upgrade, side-by-side migration
- Design a scalable System Center architecture
- Configure System Center infrastructure (20–25%)
Configure System Center components
- Configure Data Protection Manager (DPM) storage pools; configure DPM site-to-site replication; configure System Center agents; configure System Center Management Groups; configure System Center data retention; configure Orchestrator watcher nodes; configure Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) for System Center; configure user roles, Run-As accounts, Run-As profiles; configure Service Manager database; configure Operations Manager Gateway
Configure portals and dashboards
- App Controller portal; Service Manager self-service portal; Operations Manager dashboards including Application Monitoring dashboards
- Configure System Center components
- Configure the fabric (25–30%)
Configure the storage fabric
- Classification and pools; providers; arrays; File server cluster; storage pools; file shares
Configure the network fabric
- Logical networks; VM networks; IP/MAC resource pools; VIP templates; load balancing; logical switches; network isolation, including network virtualisation with Windows Server Gateway; private VLANs and VLANs
Configure and manage the deployment and update servers
- Integrate a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server into the Virtual Machine Manager fabric; configure and manage a library server; integrate Windows Deployment Services (WDS)/PXE into the Virtual Machine Manager fabric, including virtualisation hosts deployment using Windows Deployment Services (WDS)
Configure clouds and virtualisation hosts
- Clouds and host groups; configure and deploy virtualisation hosts
- Configure the storage fabric
- Configure System Center integration (15–20%)
Configure private cloud integration
- Configure Operations Manager connectors; Orchestrator integration packs; Service Manager connectors; SharePoint integration; Configure IP Address Management (IPAM) server integration, configure AppController
Configure integration of private and public clouds
- Configure Service Provider Framework (SPF), configure Microsoft Azure Pack for Windows Server
- Configure private cloud integration
- Configure and deploy virtual machines and services (15–20%)
- Configure physical computer profiles, guest operating system profiles, hardware profiles, SQL server profiles, application profiles, capability profiles
Create and configure server App-V packages
- Sequence an application, configure App-V package settings; configure and deploy a server App-V agent
Configure and deploy a service
- Import and export templates; configure VM templates; configure service templates; deploy a SQL DAC package; deploy a web deploy package; deploy a Server App-V package; create and configure pre-install post-install, and First VM When Created scripts
Update a service
- Apply updates to existing VMs (in-place); deploy new VMs with updated settings; update/replace the operating system; update/replace apps; update/replace SQL; scale out service tiers
- Configure profiles
- Instructor-led training
- Exam prep video
Microsoft Certification PREP Talk: Exam 247
In this episode of Prep tips from certification experts, James Seymour, Certification Planner and Symon Perriman, Senior Technical Evangelist, discuss the relevancy of the skills being measured in Exam 247.
- Practice test
- From the community
Exam Ref 70-247: Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud
Published: 30 October 2014 (estimated)
Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-247 and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of configuring and deploying a private cloud using Microsoft System Center 2012 R2. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSE level.
Who should take this exam?
Candidates for this exam have Windows Server, System Center 2012, security, high-availability, fault tolerance and networking experience in an enterprise environment. Candidates should also have basic Microsoft SQL Server, Windows PowerShell knowledge, and application configuration experience.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarise yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.