Windows Server certifications
If you’re designing, implementing, configuring, or managing a Windows Server installation in your organisation, consider the certification goals on this page. You can explore a Windows Server 2016 certification, in addition to Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2008 certifications.
Learn the fundamentals of IT as you begin your career.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
Build your skills for the career you want.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
This Windows Server certification is the globally recognised standard for IT professionals.
- Upgrade paths to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 certification
You can upgrade these certifications to the MCSA: Windows Server 2016 certification.
- MCSA: Windows Server 2012
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
Step Title Optional training Required exam Certification earned 1 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2016 Take course 743 Take exam 743
- Upgrade paths to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification
You can upgrade these certifications to a Windows Server 2012 certification by taking the exams listed in the table that follows.
- MCDST: Windows XP
- MCSE: Windows 2000
- MCSA: Windows 2000
- MCSA: Security on Windows 2000
- MCSA: Security on Windows 2003
- MCSA: Windows Server 2003
- MCSE: Security on Windows 2000
- MCSE: Security on Windows 2003
- MCSE: Windows Server 2003
- MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
- MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
- MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2000
- MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
- MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
Step Title Optional training Required exam Certification earned 1 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 Take course 417 Take exam 417
Frequently asked questions
The following questions specifically address the Windows Server certifications. Visit the certification overview or exam policies and FAQ pages for answers to general questions regarding Microsoft Certification or the exams.
- I have already started down the path to earn a certification on one of the technologies that will be updated. What should I do?
Exams you took previously will continue to count toward credit for the associated certification, and the courses that are currently on the market are a great way to help you prepare.
- Where can I find the dates when exams and certifications will be updated with new content?
Find out all the details, as they become available, on the appropriate exam details pages.
- I want to start learning more about the updates to the technology. Where can I find training?
As new technology updates become available, you will have access to a variety of training resources through Microsoft Learning Partner offerings. These include First Look clinics, hands-on labs and course offerings using Microsoft Official Course content. In addition, many training resources are available directly through Microsoft Virtual Academy.