Code Writer is a free text and code editor app with over 20 supported file types, and active syntax highlighting that updates as you edit documents. Use it as a replacement for Notepad and other quick edit apps. The app has been built from the ground up for Windows 10. It's fast and fluid, and gives you the power to edit documents with features you'd normally only find in desktop apps. Code Writer is perfect for editing any text-based file, doing code reviews, or giving presentations with code samples. The text editor allows you to edit documents in near full-screen mode with the chrome fading to the background. The collapsible side bar houses features like a document explorer, search functionality, advanced editing commands, print/share, settings, and help. A popup command palette provides quick keyboard access to almost every command in the app. Easily create new or open existing documents from any accessible source. Color is used pervasively throughout the app to create a bond between you and the various file types you work with. Configure the editor theme and other options such as font size to mold your ideal editing environment. Learn about every product feature with the included detailed documentation. The app requires Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) or later, and is fully supported on ARM, x86, and x64 devices. IF YOU LIKE THIS FREE APP, PLEASE SUPPORT ITS CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT WITH GOOD RATINGS. We have many plans for further improvements but want to hear your suggestions too. It is most helpful if you post your own ideas for app features in our support forum or in the Windows Feedback app (instead of or in addition to reviews in the Store) so that we can communicate directly with you. Sometimes we may need more information about the feature request and by posting in our forums or the Feedback app, we can get that from you. Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated. Happy coding! Follow us on Twitter with @CodeWriterApp. You can even chat directly with our dev team via Slack (http://www.actiprosoftware.com/community/chat) to help guide future Code Writer features!
What’s new in this version
v4.0 makes some huge updates to the core editor control: ADDED: New version of the core text editor control with massive performance improvements. ADDED: Multiple selections added via Ctrl+Click, each with their own caret. ADDED: Support for cultural editing concepts like complex glyphs, bi-directional text, etc. ADDED: Improved smooth inertia-based touch scrolling. ADDED: Shift+MouseWheel horizontal scroll support. ADDED: Pinch and Ctrl+MouseWheel zoom support. ADDED: Ctrl++ zooms in, Ctrl+- zooms out, and Ctrl+0 resets zoom to 100%. ADDED: Hold down a scrollbar's arrow for several seconds to cause scroll speed to increase. ADDED: Drag and drop support. ADDED: Improved logic for several edit commands. ADDED: Improved IntelliPrompt UI in general, now with vector images. ADDED: The Ctrl+W close command closes the app if no documents are open. Follow @CodeWriterApp on Twitter to stay on top of Code Writer news.
- Some file types support advanced editing features like code outlining, syntax errors, text formatting, quick info, color previews, auto-case correct, etc.
- Create new documents, browse to open any accessible document, and easily reopen recent documents
- Near-chromeless UI editing surface when the side bar is collapsed
- Command palette that provides access to most commands, recent documents, go to line, and more.
- Open documents are persisted between app sessions
- Modified documents are flagged
- Search side bar with find/replace capabilities
- Document print support with numerous options
- Touch-based selection support, and a plethora of keyboard shortcuts
- Live tile that displays the names and save state of open documents
- Supports sharing of document or selected text with other apps via the Share charm
- Detailed documentation that describes all app functionality
- File associations allow the app to be used as a default editor for various file types
- Options for theme, font family/size, line numbers, word wrap, current line highlight, delimiter highlighting and auto-complete, web color previews, whitespace characters, tabs/spaces, line ends, etc.
- Options to add custom file extensions for file types, and disable file types you don't work with
- Run the app and open files using the codewriter:// protocol