You can check if your device can support your version of Office by viewing the full Office system requirements.
No. Office applications are tailored to work best on each platform and device. The Office applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users.
Microsoft 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013, Office 2010, Office 2007, Office for Mac 2011 and Office for Mac 2008 applications can open your documents without any additional action. Customers using earlier versions of Office may need to download and install a compatibility pack.
Yes. Documents that you have created belong fully to you. You can choose to store them online on OneDrive or locally on your PC or Mac. Learn what happens if you cancel your subscription.
Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Microsoft 365 subscription plans. For Microsoft 365 plans, internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. You should also connect to the internet regularly to keep your version of Office up to date and benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the internet at least every 31 days, your applications will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents, but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your Office applications, simply reconnect to the internet.
Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, OneDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE and Outlook.com. If you use any of these services, you already have a Microsoft account that you can use or you can create a new account. Learn more about a Microsoft account. As part of signing up for a trial or purchasing Office, you will be prompted to sign in with a Microsoft account. You must be signed in with this account to install and manage your Office software, or to use some subscription benefits, including OneDrive storage and Skype minutes.
Users can activate 1 subscription for Microsoft 365 Family and Microsoft 365 Personal and up to 25 licences for Office Home & Student 2019, Office Home & Business 2019 and Office Professional 2019.
Product keys, redemption and activation
A Product Key is a unique 25-character alphanumeric code used to redeem and activate your Office product. You cannot use a Product Key for an older Office product (or a different product) to redeem your new copy of Office.
After you associate your Product Key with your Microsoft account, you can sign in to accounts.microsoft.com to install and manage Office. But it’s a good idea to keep your Product Key in a secure location as proof of purchase or to help our support agents trace your product.
It’s best to use your existing Microsoft account. If you use other Microsoft products or services (e.g. Xbox, OneDrive, Outlook.com, MSN or Bing), you may already have a Microsoft account and won’t need to create a new one. If you have forgotten your username or password, recover those details by returning to the sign-in page and clicking on Can’t access your account?
Language support for Office
Microsoft 365 plans are available in most countries/regions. In countries/regions where Microsoft 365 plans are not available, you can still buy an Office 2019 suite. When buying Microsoft 365, it’s important that you select the country/region in which you will be billed and in which you’ll use the software. Selecting a different country/region may cause problems with subscription set-up and renewal.
- For PCs running Windows: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
- For Mac: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English (United States), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
- For iOS: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
- For Android: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Catalan, Kannada, Malayalam, Persian, Tamil and Telugu.
- Microsoft 365: Each time you install Office on an additional PC or Mac at accounts.microsoft.com, you can choose the language in which to install Office.
- Office 2019: You can install language accessory packs after installing Microsoft Office, to add additional display, help or proofing tools. Learn more about the Language Accessory Pack for Office.
Download and install Office
You’ll need to determine which Office product keys correspond to each PC. Learn more.
Microsoft 365 Family can be shared among 6 users and installed on multiple devices, including PCs, Macs, iPads, iPhones, Android tablets and Android phones. Microsoft 365 Personal is for 1 user and can also be installed on multiple devices.
Yes. You can purchase Microsoft 365 subscriptions for both Mac and Windows. Office Home & Business 2019 or Office Home & Student 2019 are also available for Mac as a one-time purchase. Office applications available for a Mac are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. The Publisher and Access applications are not available for Mac. Current Office application versions for Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 are available for both Windows and Mac.
Learn about which Office versions can work side by side on the same device in this article.
- Mac OS X
The 32-bit version of Office is installed by default.
If you have installed Microsoft 365 on the maximum number of PCs, Macs or tablets and want to use Microsoft 365 on a different device, you can deactivate a device by visiting accounts.microsoft.com, after which you can install Office on a new device. The copy of Office on the device you deactivated will revert to read-only mode, which means documents can be viewed but not edited. You will not lose any documents that are saved locally on the original device.
To uninstall Office, first visit accounts.microsoft.com and follow the on-screen instructions to deactivate Office. Deactivating Office leaves the Office applications on your PC in read-only mode, which means that you can view documents but can’t edit or save them, and you can’t create new documents. To remove Office entirely, go to your PC’s Control Panel and uninstall Office. For Mac, iPad and Android tablets, follow the instructions on that device to uninstall an application.
- Microsoft 365 customers can download or reinstall from accounts.microsoft.com.
- You may order a DVD backup copy for the latest release Office products for a fee. Visit www.office.com/backup for details.
Get the core Office experience for free on your favourite tablets and phones. To find and download apps, visit the following pages: Office for iPad, Office for iPhone, Office for Android tablet and Office for Android phone. For Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps, get premium features with an eligible Microsoft 365 subscription. For information about the premium features for mobile devices that are available with Microsoft 365, visit www.office.com/information.
Microsoft 365 customers with an active subscription always get the newest versions of the Office applications when they are available. When we release a new version of Office, you will be notified that you have the option to update your software to the latest version.
The latest version, Office 2019 for Mac, is now available to Microsoft 365 subscribers as part of your subscription. To install Office 2019 for Mac, go to accounts.microsoft.com and follow the instructions there.