- 17 February 2014Published:
- English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), SpanishLanguages:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- Microsoft Office 365Technology:
- MCP, MCSACredit towards certification:
Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements
70-346: Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements
Who should take this exam?
Candidates for this exam are IT professionals who take part in evaluating, planning, deploying and operating the Office 365 services, including its dependencies, requirements and supporting technologies. Candidates should have experience with the Office 365 Admin Center and an understanding of Microsoft Exchange Online, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, Office 365 ProPlus and Azure Active Directory. This includes experience with service descriptions, configuration options, and integrating services with existing identity management and on-premises infrastructure to support the business requirements of an organisation.
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area in the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area in the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification Program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Centre.
As of 30 June 2016, this exam will include the latest updates and features of Office 365. To learn more about these changes and how they affect the skills measured, please download and review the Exam 70-346 change document.
- Provision Office 365 (15–20%)
- Configure the tenant name, tenant region, initial global administrator; manage tenant subscriptions; and manage the licensing model
Add and configure custom domains
- Specify domain name, confirm ownership, specify domain purpose, and move ownership of DNS to Office 365
Plan a pilot
- Designate pilot users, identify workloads that don't require migration, run the Office 365 Health, Readiness and Connectivity Checks, run IdFix, create a test plan or use case and connect existing email accounts for pilot users, understand service descriptions and planning to onboard users to Office 365
- Provision tenants
- Plan and implement networking and security in Office 365 (15–20%)
Configure DNS records for services
- Create DNS records for Exchange Online, Skype for Business Online and SharePoint Online
Enable client connectivity to Office 365
- Configure proxy server to allow client access to Office 365 URLs, configure firewalls for outbound port access to Office 365, recommend bandwidth, Internet connectivity for clients and deploy desktop setup for previous versions of Office clients
Administer Microsoft Azure Rights Management (RM)
- Activate rights management, Office integration with rights management, assign roles for rights management and enable recovery of protected documents
Manage administrator roles in Office 365
- Implement a permission model, create or revoke assignment of administrative roles or the administrative model, determine and assign global administrator, billing administrator and user administrator, delegated administrator, and control password resets
- Configure DNS records for services
- Manage cloud identities (15–20%)
Configure password management
- Setting expiration policy, password complexity and password resets in Administration Center
Manage user and security groups
- Bulk import (CSV), soft delete, Administration Center and multi-factor authentication
Manage cloud identities with Windows PowerShell
- Configure passwords to never expire, bulk update of user properties, bulk user creation, Azure Active Directory cmdlets, bulk user licence management and hard delete users
- Configure password management
- Implement and manage identities by using Azure Active Directory Synchronisation (AADSync) (15–20%)
Prepare on-premises Active Directory for AADSync
- Plan for non-routable domain names, clean up existing objects, plan for filtering Active Directory, and support for multiple forests
Set up AADSync tool
- Implement soft match filtering and identify synchronised attributes, password sync and installation requirements
Manage Active Directory users and groups with AADSync in place
- Delete (soft delete), create and modify users and groups with AADSync in place, and schedule and force synchronisation
- Prepare on-premises Active Directory for AADSync
- Implement and manage federated identities for single sign-on (SSO) (15–20%)
Plan requirements for Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS)
- Plan namespaces and certificates, AD FS internal topologies and dependencies, WAP/AD FS proxy topologies, network requirements, multi-factor authentication and access filtering using claims rules
Install and manage AD FS servers
- Create AD FS service accounts, configure farm or stand-alone settings, add additional servers, convert from standard to federated domain, and manage certificate life cycle
Install and manage WAP/AD FS proxy servers
- Set up perimeter network name resolution, install required Windows roles and features, set up certificates, configure WAP/AD FS proxy settings and set custom proxy forms login page
- Plan requirements for Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS)
- Monitor and troubleshoot Office 365 availability and usage (15–20%)
- Analyse service reports, mail protection reports, auditing log and portal email hygiene reports
Monitor service health
- Using RSS feed, service health dashboard (including awareness of planned maintenance, service updates and historical data), Office 365 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager and Windows PowerShell cmdlets
Isolate service interruption
- Create a service request, Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer (RCA), Microsoft Lync Connectivity Analyzer tool, Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer tool and hybrid free/busy troubleshooter
- Analyse reports
- Instructor-led training
- Exam prep video
Microsoft Certification PREP Talk: Exam 346
In this episode of Prep tips from certification experts, James Seymour, Senior Content Publisher and Alistair Spiers, Senior Operations Program Manager on the Office 365 product group, discuss the relevancy of the skills being measured on Exam 346.
- Self-paced training
- Practice test
- From the community
- Follow @MSLearning
Exam Ref 70-346: Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements
Published: 24 June 2015
Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-346—and demonstrate your real-world mastery of the skills needed to provision, manage, monitor and troubleshoot Microsoft Office 365 identities and cloud services. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA level.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarise yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.