Microsoft Social Engagement can be deployed into the Microsoft Azure datacenters (also referred to as “regions”) listed below.
Microsoft Social Engagement currently stores customer data in the United States. Microsoft may replicate customer data to other regions available within the same geography for data durability, except as specified below. No matter where customer data is stored, Microsoft does not control or limit the locations from which customers or their end users may access customer data.
East US (Virginia)
East US 2 (Virginia)
South Central US (Texas)
West US (California)
Storing customer data
For customers in the United States, Microsoft will not transfer customer data outside the selected Azure geographic location (geo) for Microsoft Social Engagement except when:
- It is necessary for Microsoft to provide customer support, troubleshoot the service, or comply with legal requirements.
- Customers use services that are designed to operate globally, including the following:
- Dynamics 365 home page, which stores application names, descriptions, and logos globally for performance;
- Azure Active Directory, which may store Active Directory data globally. You can find more information here;
- Azure Multi-Factor Authentication, which may store Multi-Factor Authentication data globally. You can find more information here;
- Customer data collected during the onboarding process by the Microsoft Office 365 Admin Center. You can find more information here; or
- Services that provide global routing functions and do not process or store customer data. This includes Azure DNS, which provides domain name services that route to different regions; or
- Preview, beta, or other pre-release services, which typically store customer data in the United States but may store it globally.
- Additionally, certain types of customer data (specifically the application name, application description, and application logo) will be stored globally, rather than in the primary storage geo.
Microsoft Social Engagement
- Customers configure external services to extend Microsoft Social Engagement, such customer configurations may cause customer data to be transferred outside of the selected geo. Examples of customer configurable external services include:
- Machine Learning Cognitive Services: The use of cognitive services such as sentiment analysis, intention analysis, or auto tags is included with Microsoft Social Engagement.
- Data integration: Configuration of Microsoft Social Engagement data management features that work with external services such as the Azure Event Hub (whether provided by Microsoft or a third party) may result in the transfer of core customer data outside of the region configured for the production environment to a geographic location that customers designate. You can find more information here.
- Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft PowerApps, and Microsoft Flow: Microsoft Social Engagement customers who utilize Power BI, PowerApps, or Flow may send customer data outside of the designated region to the geographic area where their Power BI, PowerApps, or Flow is deployed. You can find more details here.