AI and citizen scientists work together to fight extinction.Download Wild Me overview
Fighting extinction with citizen science
AI for Earth is using AI technology and advanced cloud software to identify animal species that are on the verge of extinction. Wild Me uses computer vision and deep learning algorithms to power Wildbook, a platform that utilizes technology to scan and identify individual animals and species.
How Wild Me uses Azure
Wild Me uses the following Azure services:
- Translator Text API to translate multi-lingual YouTube videos into English, and to create Wildbooks for global audiences.
- Computer Vision API for optical character recognition, to extract text from YouTube videos, and use it for date/location prediction with machine learning.
- Virtual machines to power Wildbook; Wild Me runs all Wildbooks on high-performing Linux VMs
- Data Science Virtual Machines to create natural language processing (NLP) predictors for our YouTube reviewing intelligent agent.
- Application Insights to monitor Wild Me servers and services for outages.
- Container Registry to store Wildbook containers.
- Azure Backup to back up virtual machines and protect critical wildlife data.
- DevOps for operation monitoring during development.
These components are also available as an architecture diagram.
Wild Me on GitHub
All of Wildbook’s code is open-source and available on GitHub.
Explore more AI for Earth partners
Learn more about how our partners are using AI in their conservation projects.