Supporting the continued growth of black employees and encouraging careers in technology.
Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarships
Next year (2023) BAM will award 50 scholarships totaling $212,500 (USD):
- five (5) $20,000 scholarships distributed over 4 years ($5,000 per year, renewable)
- forty-five (45) $2,500 one-time only scholarships
The BAM Scholarship was created to enable Black and African American students to attend college and pursue a career in technology. The goal is to empower future generations to do and be more.
To be considered for a BAM Scholarship, you must:
- Be a US-based high school senior of African descent (for example, African American, African, Ethiopian, etc.).
- Plan to attend a four-year college or university in the US in the fall immediately following your high school graduation.
- Plan to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing).
- Demonstrate a passion for technology.
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Require financial assistance to attend college.
How to apply
The BAM Scholarship will begin accepting applications on January 23, 2023. To apply for a BAM Scholarship, submit your application online by March 15, 2023, via the Scholarship America Hub.
- At least one letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school. Letters of recommendation should be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters. (Letters must be on letterhead.)
- If you request a letter to be uploaded by your recommender, please ensure they have done so by the deadline (March 15, 2023). All materials must be received by the deadline.
- A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display student name, school name, and credit hours for each course and term in which the course was taken.
- Note, If you are providing SAT or ACT test scores, and those scores are not listed on your high school transcript, you will need to upload a copy of your test score report(s) separately. If you are uploading a collage transcript, those scores are not required.
- In no more than 500 words, describe how you plan to engage in the technology industry in your future career. (If you have done exemplary work using technology during high school, please describe that also.)
Microsoft BAM scholarships are funded and administered by Microsoft and cover up to 100 percent of recipients' tuition costs. Only students who are currently enrolled in a four-year college or university are eligible to apply for Microsoft College Scholarships. BAM Scholarships are funded and administered by members of the BAM (Blacks at Microsoft) organization and are renewable awards of US $5,000. Only high-school seniors are eligible to apply for a BAM Scholarship; scholarship recipients can apply to renew their scholarships for up to four years.
No. The BAM Scholarship is open to high-school seniors only; however, scholarship winners can apply to renew their scholarships for up to four years.
Yes. Scholarship applicants must be planning to pursue a bachelor's degree, but students who plan to begin their degree program at a two-year college are welcome to apply.
Yes. If you cannot obtain an official transcript from your school, you can send an unofficial transcript with your application. However, if you are selected as a finalist, you will be required to submit an official transcript.
Yes. The BAM Scholarship is now available to students throughout the United States. Any applicants who plan to attend a school based in the USA will be considered for this scholarship.
Yes. Scholarship winners can renew their awards for up to four years, provided that they meet specific eligibility requirements.
No. Only recipients of BAM Scholarships are automatically considered for internships. If you are interested in applying, you can find more information here: Microsoft Internships
Yes, you can take advantage of Microsoft’s student certification offer. Eligible students can take up to eight Fundamental certification exams for free through June 2023.