Women at Microsoft Scholarship
The Women at Microsoft Scholarship seeks to empower high school women and non-binary people to go to college and target a career in the technology industry.
Awards will vary in size, up to $5,000, offered as one-time or renewable for up to four (4) years.
This scholarship will be awarded to promising high school senior women and non-binary people* who plan to attend a vocational or academic college and target a career in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math).
To be considered for the Women at Microsoft Scholarship, you must:
- Be a graduating high school senior who identifies as a woman and/or as non-binary*.
- Wish to pursue a career** in a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) field.
- Plan to attend an accredited 2-4 year public or private college or university or technical college in the United States (or a US affiliate program) in the upcoming academic year.***
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
* Non-binary people, those who are gender fluid, and women of transgender experience are encouraged to apply.
**Due to the dynamic nature of a career in technology, this scholarship is not limited only to students pursuing STEAM fields of study. Instead, the selection committee is most interested in an applicant’s plan to be engaged in a STEAM industry in their career, their passion for technology, and the difference technology can make in the world.
***International applicants are welcome to apply.
- The scholarship may be used to pay tuition, room and board, or class fees. Payments will be sent directly to the college or university (no direct payments to students will be made).
- Awards will be made based on financial need, scholastic achievement, and passion for technology.
How to apply
The Women at Microsoft Scholarship will begin accepting applications on January 23, 2023. To apply for a Women at Microsoft Scholarship, submit your application online by March 15, 2023.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to submit the following:
Two letters of recommendation:
- At least one letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school.
- Letters of recommendation should be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters.
- An essay (500 words max) outlining your plan to be engaged in a STEAM industry in your career and highlighting your passion for technology and the impact it can have on the world.
- Include a copy of your current academic transcript. Official or Unofficial copies will both be accepted.
- Outlining your personal, academic, and community engagements.
The 2023 scholarship application period will run from January 23, 2023 until March 15, 2023. Applications should be submitted online via the Scholarship America portal.
Please note, emailed or mailed scholarship applications will not be accepted.
No, any high school student who identifies as a woman and/or non-binary person and has a financial need, is encouraged to apply.
*Non-binary people, those who are gender fluid, and women of transgender experience are encouraged to apply.
Yes. Only applicants who plan to attend a school based in the USA will be considered for this scholarship.
Yes, as long as you plan to pursue a career in the STEAM field.
No. The WOMEN AT MICROSOFT Scholarship is open to high-school seniors only; however, scholarship winners can apply to renew their scholarships for up to four years.
Yes. While scholarship applicants must be planning to pursue a bachelor's degree, students who plan to begin their degree program at a two-year college are welcome to apply.
Yes. If you cannot obtain an official transcript from your school, you can send an unofficial transcript with your application. However, if you are selected as a finalist, you will be required to submit an official transcript.
No. If you are interested in applying, you can find more information here: Microsoft Internships
Yes, you can take advantage of Microsoft’s student certification offer. Eligible students can take up to eight Fundamental certification exams for free through June 2023.