|Microsoft at HIMSS18|
The winners of the 2018 Microsoft Health Innovation Awards were announced at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society Annual Conference & Exhibition (HIMSS18). Each year, the awards acknowledge health and life sciences organizations and their technology solution partners that are achieving innovation excellence with a Microsoft-based solution.
We’re always excited to highlight the achievements of our forward-thinking customers and partners as they advance digital transformation in health. Here are the winners in each of the submission categories:
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (Tie)
Kaiser Permanente & KenSci partnered to deliver machine learning models which predicted & stratified congestive heart failure patients who were at the highest risk of 30-day hospital readmission; low ejection fraction; & mortality. The teams collaborated to develop a dashboard that could demonstrate this data to clinical teams to facilitate care coordination activities.
Ochsner Health System and Epic
We used over 1 billion clinical data points to create a deep recurrent neural network that can predict patient deterioration outside of the ICU with an accuracy of 98%. With the results of this model, a newly created Rapid Response team of providers received real-time notifications when patients exceeded a certain risk threshold. The recurrent neural network was deployed using the brand new Epic machine learning platform powered by Microsoft Azure.
Empower Your Care Teams
Mercy Health and NucleusHealth
RadConnect is an intuitive, secure and fast web-based medical image sharing solution built in Microsoft Azure. Originally designed to reduce costs, improve collaboration with referring physicians and engage patients, the pure web-based solution also enhances workflows to maximize employee productivity and patient satisfaction.
Engage Your Patients
Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network and Oneview Healthcare
My Health Memory, powered by Oneview Connect, is a smartphone app that enhances patient experience in concert with Oneview’s inpatient solutions. This provides a seamless experience, letting patients and families communicate with the clinical team, confirm/reschedule appointments, and view medical documentation and education.
Optimize Your Clinical Operational Effectiveness
UPMC and Health Catalyst
Health Catalyst’s CORUS Suite, co-developed with UPMC, is a cost-management system that, for the first time, enables health systems to deeply understand the true cost of providing care across the continuum, and to relate those costs to patient outcomes.
Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa and Innofactor
The virtual hospital is a digital health platform that enables healthcare organizations to create digital extensions of their clinics to achieve a significant productivity increase through improved patient engagement & care collaboration and provide more targeted and meaningful self-help tools and information for different patient groups.
Thank you to our judges
In addition to acknowledging the innovative solutions of the award recipients, we would like to thank each of the distinguished judges who reviewed this year’s entries:
- Brian Ahier, Digital Health Evangelist, Medicity, an Aetna Company
- Kelly Aldrich, DNP, MS, RN-BC, Informatics Nurse Specialist, Chief Clinical Transformation Officer, Center for Medical Interoperability
- Keith Fraidenburg, MBA, EVP & COO, CHIME
- Taren Grom, Founding Partner and Editor, PharmaVOICE
- Ahmad Hashem, MD, PhD, CEO, Boston Biopharma, Inc.
- Cathy Ivory, PhD, RN-BC, FAAN, Associate Chief Nurse Executive, VP for Professional Practice & Care Transformation, Indiana University Health
- Dan Munro, Author and Forbes Contributor
- Ben Rooks, Managing Director, ST Advisors
- Jane Sarasohn-Kahn, MA (Econ), MHSA, Health Economist and Advisor, THINK-Health and Health Populi blog
- Gienna Shaw, Editor-in-Chief, FierceMarkets
- Jay Srini, FHIMSS, Chief Strategist, SCS Ventures, Adjunct Associate Professor, SHRS, University of Pittsburgh
- Victoria L. Tiase, MSN, RN-BC, Director – Informatics Strategy, New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Gus Venditto, VP of Content Development, HIMSS Media
What’s your story?
Our contest isn’t the only way to draw attention to your innovative eHealth solution. You can always share your story with us via email, Facebook, or Twitter.