Updated: October, 2017
Upgrading web applications to modern standards is the best long-term solution to ensure compatibility with today’s web browsers, but using backward compatibility can save time and money. Internet Explorer 11 has features that can ease your browser and operating system upgrades, reducing web application testing and remediation costs. On Windows 10, you can standardize on Microsoft Edge for faster, safer browsing and fall back to Internet Explorer 11 just for sites that need backward compatibility.
The Web Application Compatibility Lab Kit is a primer for the features and techniques used to provide web application compatibility during a typical enterprise migration to Microsoft Edge. It walks you through how to configure and set up Enterprise Mode, leverage Enterprise Site Discovery, test web apps using the F12 developer tools, and manage the Enterprise Mode Site List.
The Web Application Compatibility Lab Kit includes:
- A pre-configured Windows 7 and Windows 10 virtual lab environment with:
- Windows 7 Enterprise Evaluation
- Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation (version 1607)
- Enterprise Mode Site List Manager
- Enterprise Site Discovery Toolkit
- A "lite" lab option to run the lab on your own Windows 7 or Windows 10 operating system
- A step-by-step lab guide
- A web application compatibility overview video
- A white paper and IT Showcase studies
Depending on your environment, your web apps may "just work” using the methods described below. For additional technical documentation, see Plan for Internet Explorer 11, or visit Microsoft Edge Dev for tools and guidance for web developers.
There are two versions of the lab kit available:
- Full version (8 GB) - includes a complete virtual lab environment
- Lite version (400 MB) - includes guidance for running the Lab Kit on your own Windows 7 or Windows 10 operating system
The Web Application Compatibility Lab Kit is also available in the following languages:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
Please use a broad bandwidth to download this content to enhance your downloading experience. Lab environment requires 8 GB of available memory and 100 GB of free disk space.