Course 10748: Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
|Technology:||Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager|
January 17, 2012
About this course
Audience profileGet detailed instruction and hands-on practice planning and deploying Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager and its associated site systems. This three-day Microsoft Official course is designed for IT Professionals who are responsible for designing and deploying one or more System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager sites and all supporting systems, as well as configuring and managing endpoints in those systems. You will learn how to plan for the deployment of the central administration site, one or more primary sites and secondary sites, and all associated site systems. You will also learn how to migrate from System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.This course also helps candidates prepare for Exam 70-243, MCTS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. Both Configuration Manager courses, 10747D and 10748C, or the equivalent knowledge and skills will be necessary to prepare for the exam.
NOTE: Windows Intune is used as part of the lab for this course, which may not be available in all countries. Please confirm with your Microsoft training provider that this cloud service is available in your area. Training Providers: please reference the course setup guide for more details.At course completionThis course is intended for Information Technology (IT) professionals who are responsible for designing and deploying one or more System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager sites and all supporting systems. They should have three to five years of experience in medium to large enterprise organizations, in a role in which they are supporting multiple desktop and server computers that run Windows®-based operating systems.This course is also for individuals who are interested in taking exam 70-243 TS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.Both 10747D: Administering System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and 10748C: Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager are necessary to prepare for this exam.After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure.
- Plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.
- Plan and configure role-based administration.
- Plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy.
- Replicate data and manage content in Configuration Manager.
- Plan resource discovery and client deployment.
- Configure Internet and cloud-based client management.
- Maintain and monitor System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Migrate to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Course details
Course OutlineModule 1: Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Configuration ManagerThis module explains the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure and the typical deployment scenarios.Lessons
Module 2: Planning and Deploying a Stand-Alone Primary SiteThis module explains how to plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.LessonsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Introduction to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Site System Roles
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Optional Site System Roles
- Overview of Configuration Manager Deployment Scenarios
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Client
- Describe the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager architecture.
- Describe the Configuration Manager server infrastructure.
- Describe typical Configuration Manager deployment scenarios.
- Describe the Configuration Manager client.
- Planning a Configuration Manager Stand-Alone Primary Site Deployment
- Preparing to Deploy a Configuration Manager Primary Site
- Installing a Configuration Manager Site Server
- Performing Post-Setup Configuration Tasks
- Tools for Monitoring and Troubleshooting a Configuration Manager Site
- Configuring the Prerequisites for Configuration Manager 2012 Deployment
- Extending the Active Directory Schema
- Installing a Configuration Manager 2012 Stand-Alone Primary Site
Module 3: Planning and Configuring Role-Based AdministrationAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Validating the Installation of the Primary Site
- Performing the Initial Configuration of the Primary Site
This module explains how to plan and configure Configuration Manager administrative users and access.Lessons
- Describe the planning tasks for a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager primary site deployment.
- Identify the preparation steps for deploying Configuration Manager 2012.
- Install a Configuration Manager 2012 primary site.
- Perform post-setup configuration tasks.
- Describe the tools that you can use to monitor and troubleshoot a Configuration Manager 2012 installation.
- Overview of Role-Based Administration
- Identifying IT Roles in Your Organization
- Configuring Role-Based Administration
Module 4: Planning and Deploying a Multiple-Site HierarchyThis module explains how to plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy including a central administration site, primary sites, and a secondary site.LessonsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Reviewing Built-in Security Roles and Scopes
- Creating Custom Security Roles and Scopes
- Testing the Permissions of the New Role
- Describe role-based administration concepts.
- Describe the process for identifying the roles in a typical IT department and its corresponding responsibilities and activities.
- Configure role-based administration.
- Planning a Configuration Manager 2012 Multiple-Site Hierarchy
- Deploying a Configuration Manager 2012 Site
- Deploying the Central Administration Site
- Deploying Primary Sites in a Hierarchy
- Deploying Secondary Sites
- Using Hierarchy Expansion to Install the Central Administration Site
- Validating the Installation
- Automating the Installation of a Primary Site
Module 5: Replicating Data and Managing Content in Configuration Manager 2012After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Prerequisites
- Installing a Secondary Site from a Primary Site
- Validating the Installation
This module explains how to plan, configure, and monitor data types, intersite communication, replication, and content.Lessons
- Describe the architecture and characteristics of a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager multiple-site hierarchy.
- Describe the role of the central administration site in a hierarchy.
- Prepare for and perform the installation of the central administration site.
- Prepare for and perform the installation of primary sites in an existing hierarchy.
- Identify the need to install secondary sites and perform the installation of a secondary site.
- Introduction to Data Types and Replication
- Managing Data Replication
- Planning Content Management
- Verifying and Configuring Replication Settings
- Monitoring Replication
- Troubleshooting Replication
Module 6: Planning Resource Discovery and Client DeploymentThis module explains how to plan and use various methods to discover resources and deploy the Configuration Manager client.Lessons
- Planning Content Distribution
- Implementing Distribution Points
- Implementing Content Prestaging
- Implementing BranchCache to Support Content Management
- After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe site and global data types and how data is replicated throughout the hierarchy.
- Manage data replication.
- Plan for content management.
- Identifying Resources by Using Configuration Manager Discovery Methods
- Client Deployment in Configuration Manager
- Deploying Windows-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Managing Configuration Manager Clients
- Monitoring Client Status in Configuration Manager
Module 7: Configuring Internet and Cloud-Based Client ManagementThis module explains how to plan and configure Internet and cloud-based client management.LessonsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Active Directory Discovery Methods
- Using Client Push to Install the Configuration Manager Client
- Using Group Policy to Install the Configuration Manager Client
- Describe processes and methods for resource discovery.
- Describe the client-installation process and client-deployment methods.
- Plan and complete a typical client deployment.
- Manage Configuration Manager clients after installation.
- Describe the new Client Health feature in Configuration Manager.
- Managing Remote Clients by Using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Managing Internet-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Configuring Cloud Services in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Creating Certificate Templates for Configuration Manager
- Deploying Certificates for Configuration Manager
Module 8: Maintaining and Monitoring System Center 2012 Configuration ManagerThis module explains how to perform maintenance tasks and monitor the Configuration Manager site systems.LessonsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Signing Up for a Windows Intune Trial Account and Configuring Directory Synchronization
- Configuring the Windows Intune Connector Role
- Manage remote clients by using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Manage Internet-based Configuration Manager clients.
- Configure cloud services in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Overview of Configuration Manager 2012 Site Maintenance
- Performing Backup and Recovery of a Configuration Manager Site
- Monitoring Configuration Manager 2012 Site Systems
Module 9: Migrating to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration ManagerAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Maintenance Tasks in Configuration Manager
- Configuring the Site Backup Task
- Recovering a Site from a Backup
This module explains how to perform migration tasks from Configuration Manager 2007 and upgrade Configuration Manager 2012 to Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 and then to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Describe Configuration Manager site-maintenance tasks.
- Back up and recover a Configuration Manager site.
- Monitor Configuration Manager site systems.
- Overview of the Migration Process
- Preparing Configuration Manager 2007 Sites for Migration
- Configuring Migration Settings
- Migrating Objects
- Upgrading Configuration Manager 2012 to Configuration Manager 2012 with SP1 and then to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring the Source Hierarchy
- Creating a Migration Job and Performing Migration
- Migrating a Secondary Site to a Distribution Point
- Describe the migration process from Configuration Manager 2007 to Configuration Manager 2012.
- Prepare Configuration Manager 2007 sites for migration.
- Configure migration settings.
- Migrate objects.
- Upgrade a Configuration Manager site to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
Before attending this course, students must have a working knowledge at the system-administrator level of:
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills or by attending the following courses
- Networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Active Directory® Domain Services (AD DS) principles and management
- Windows Server management including managing Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012
- Windows Client fundamentals
- Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers
- Basic public key infrastructure (PKI) concepts
- Configuration Manager features and administrative tasks including:
- Working with the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer administrator console
- Installing clients
- Maintaining hardware and software inventory
- Working with collections
- Deploying applications
- Managing software updates
- Deploying operating systems
- Settings management
- Course 6419: Configuring, Managing, and Maintaining Windows Server® 2008–based Servers
- Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
- Course 20687: Configuring Windows® 8.1
- And Either
- Course 10747: Administering System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Course 6451: Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- Six months of hands-on experience with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer
Looking for training resources, events and advice from peers? Join the Microsoft Training and Certification Community.
Preparing for an exam now? Find your Microsoft Certification Study Group.
Talk to us on these social networks: