Course 10977B: Updating Your SQL Server Skills to Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014
|Technology:||Microsoft SQL Server|
28 July 2014
About this course
This five-day instructor-led course teaches students how to use the enhancements and new features that have been added to SQL Server and the Microsoft data platform since the release of SQL Server 2008. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2014 product features and other Microsoft data platform components.The primary audience for this course is database and business intelligence (BI) professionals who are familiar with SQL Server 2008 and want to update their skills to SQL Server 2014, and become familiar with related Microsoft data technologies.After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key features and capabilities of SQL Server 2014.
- Leverage new and enhanced features to develop database in SQL Server 2014.
- Use in-memory database capabilities in SQL Server 2014.
- Manage SQL Server 2014 by using dynamic management views and PowerShell.
- Implement security in SQL Server 2014.
- Implement high-availability and data recovery techniques in SQL Server 2014.
- Use SQL Server 2014 Integration Services.
- Use SQL Server 2014 Data Quality Services.
- Use SQL Server 2014 Master Data Services.
- Manage SQL Server 2012 Agent and Jobs.
- Implement a tabular data model in SQL Server 2014 Analysis Services.
- Implement a Self-Service BI solution with Microsoft Excel 2013.
- Describe key elements of cloud solutions for data.
- Implement a database in Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
- Implement a SQL Server database in a Microsoft Azure virtual machine.
- Implement a Big Data solution with Microsoft Azure HDInsight and the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
- Course details
Course OutlineModule 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2014This module introduces key features of SQL Server 2014.Lessons
Module 2: What’s New in SQL Server Database DevelopmentThis module describes enhancements to Transact-SQL and other database development features since SQL Server 2008.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Overview of SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2014 Editions and Components
- Installing SQL Server 2014
- Enhancements to SQL Server Management Studio
- Describe common workloads for SQL Server 2014.
- Describe the SQL Server 2014 Editions and Components.
- Install SQL Server 2014 Components.
- Use new features in SQL Server Management Studio.
Module 3: In-Memory Database CapabilitiesThis module describes how SQL server 2014 enables you to leverage in-memory technologies to enhance database performance.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Transact-SQL Enhancements
- New and Enhanced Transact-SQL Functions
- Enhancements to Spatial Data Support
- Storing and Querying Documents with SQL Server 2014
- Describe enhancements to Transact-SQL.
- Describe new and enhanced Transact-SQL functions.
- Describe Enhancements to Spatial Data Support.
- Explain how to store and query documents with SQL Server 2014.
Module 4: Scripting SQL Server 2014This lesson describes how you can use dynamic management views and PowerShell to script administrative tasks in SQL server 2014.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- The Buffer pool Extension
- Columnstore Indexes
- Memory-Optimized Tables
- Use the Buffer Pool Extension to improve performance for read-heavy OLTP workloads.
- Use Columnstore Indexes to improve performance in data warehouse query workloads.
- Use memory-optimized tables to improve performance for latch-bound workloads.
Module 5: Implementing Security in Microsoft SQL Server 2014This module describes the enhancements to security features since SQL Server 2008.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- New and Enhanced Dynamic Management Views
- Using PowerShell to Manage SQL Server
- Describe new and enhanced dynamic management views.
- Describe how to use PowerShell to Manage SQL Server.
Module 6: High Availability and Data Recovery EnhancementsThis module describes enhancements to SQL Server availability and data recovery features since SQL Server 2008.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Security Management Enhancements
- Contained Databases
- Describe the security enhancements in SQL Server 2014.
- Explain how to use contained databases.
Module 7: New and Enhanced Features in SQL Server Integration ServicesThis module describes enhancements to SQL Server Integration Services since SQL Server 2008.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:• Describe high availability features in SQL Server 2014.• Describe data recovery enhancements in SQL Server 2014.
- AlwaysOn High Availability
- Enhancements to Data Recovery
Module 8: Data Quality ServicesThis module explains how to use the SQL Server 2014 Data Quality Services (DQS) to provide a computer assisted process for cleansing data values and identifying and removing duplicate data entities.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Using the CDC Control Task for Incremental Data Loads
- Deploying and Operating SSIS Packages
- Use the CDC Control task to perform incremental data extractions in an ETL solution.
- Deploy and operate an SSIS project.
Module 9: Master Data ServicesThis module introduces Master Data Services and describes its key configuration options and how to import and export data.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Data Quality
- Using Data Quality Services to Cleanse Data
- Using Data Quality Services to Match Data
- Describe how Data Quality Services can help you manage data quality.
- Use Data Quality Services to cleanse your data.
- Use Data Quality Services to match data.
Module 10: SQL Server 2014 Reporting ServicesThis module describes new and enhanced features in SQL Server Reporting Services.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Master Data Services
- Implementing a Master Data Services Model
- Using the Master Data Services Add-in for Excel
- Describe key Master Data Services concepts.
- Implement a Master Data Services model.
- Use Master Data Services tools to manage master data.
- Use Master Data Services tools to create a master data hub.
Module 11: Implementing an Analysis Services Tabular Data ModelThis module describes Analysis Services tabular data models and explains how to develop a tabular data model by using the SQL Server Data Tools for BI add-in for Visual Studio.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Reporting Services Overview
- Reporting Services and Microsoft SharePoint Server
- Introduction to Data Alerts
- Describe the key capabilities of Reporting Services.
- Install and configure Reporting Services in SharePoint Mode.
- Use data alerts to notify users of changes to report data.
Module 12: Self-Service BI with Microsoft ExcelThis module introduces the self-service BI capabilities that can be delivered through Microsoft Excel 2013 and related technologies.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Analysis Services Tabular Data Model Projects
- Creating a Tabular Model
- Using an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model in the Enterprise
- Describe Analysis Services tabular data model projects.
- Implement an Analysis Services tabular data model.
- Use an Analysis Services tabular data model.
Module 13: Introduction to Cloud Data SolutionsThis module introduces some of the key Microsoft technologies that you can use to implement a cloud solution for data.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- PowerPivot for Excel
- PowerPivot for SharePoint Server
- Power Query
- Power View
- Power Map
- Collaborative Analysis with Power BI for Office 365
- Use PowerPivot to create tabular data models in Excel.
- Share a PowerPivot workbooks in SharePoint Server.
- Use Power Query to discover and import data from multiple data sources into Excel.
- Use Power View to create interactive data visualizations in Excel and SharePoint Server.
- Use Power Map to create visualizations of geographic data.
- Use Power BI for Office 365 to create a cloud-based collaborative solution for self-service BI.
Module 14: Microsoft Azure SQL DatabaseThis module introduces Microsoft Azure SQL Database, a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) solution for cloud-based relational database storage.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Overview of Cloud Computing
- Microsoft Azure Services for Data
- Describe key features and benefits of cloud computing.
- Describe Microsoft Azure service for data.
Module 15: SQL Server in Microsoft Azure Virtual MachinesThis module explores how you can use Microsoft Azure virtual machines in which SQL Server is installed to create a cloud-based solution for data.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database Security
- Implementing and Managing Databases
- Describe key features and benefits of Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
- Implement security for Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
- Implement and manage databases in Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
Module 16: Implementing Big Data SolutionsThis module describes the main features of big data, and the Microsoft technologies that you can use to build big data analytical solutions. In particular, the module focuses on Microsoft Azure HDInsight and the Microsoft Azure Marketplace as core elements of the Microsoft solution for big data.LessonsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines
- Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine Connectivity and Security
- Creating Databases in a Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine
- Describe considerations for using Virtual Machines in Microsoft Azure.
- Create and configure Microsoft Azure virtual machines.
- Create databases in Microsoft Azure virtual machines.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Introduction to Big Data
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight
- Consuming HDInsight Results in Excel
- Obtaining Data from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace
- Describe key features of big data.
- Process big data with Microsoft Azure HDInsight.
- Consume big data processing results from Microsoft Azure HDInsight in Microsoft Excel.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Experience of building and managing database, data warehouse, and business intelligence (BI) solutions with SQL Server 2008.
- Familiarity with the Windows Server 2012 operating system and networking.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
Looking for training resources, events and advice from peers? Join the Microsoft Training and Certification Community.
Preparing for an exam now? Find your Microsoft Certification Study Group.
Talk to us on these social networks: