Course 50028E: Installing and Configuring System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
|Technology:||Microsoft System Center Operations Manager|
18 January 2012
About this course
Audience profileThis five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to install and configure System Center Operations Manager 2007. The information included in this class will prepare the student for managing their Operations Manager 2007 infrastructure.At course completionThis course is intended for both novice and experienced network engineers who have a minimum basic Active Directory and network services experience.After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Install Operations Manager 2007 Root Management Server.
- Install the Root Management Server in a highly available configuration.
- Navigate the Operations Console and the Web Console.
- Manage the Management Group using the Command Shell.
- Perform agent installation on managed systems.
- Import and export management packs.
- Configure Rules, Events, Monitors and Tasks.
- Configure Reporting and create reports.
- Monitor workstations and servers using Agentless Exception Monitoring.
- Configure and manage Audit Collection Services.
- Create Synthetic Transactions.
- Create Distributed Applications.
- Multi-home an agent.
- Configure a Gateway server for monitoring untrusted domains.
- Configure communication between two management groups.
- Migrate from Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 to Operations Manager 2007.
- Course details
Course OutlineModule 1: Installing Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007This module explains how to install System Center Configuration Manager 2007 in a single Root Management Server configuration and a clustered highly available Root Management Server configuration.Lessons
Module 2: Using the Operations ConsoleAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Preparing for Operations Manager 2007 R2
- Using System Center Capacity Planner
- Installing System Center Operations Manager 2007
- Post Installation
This module explains how to use the Operations Console and how to perform configuration tasks.Lessons
- Identify the requirements for installing System Center Operations Manager 2007.
- Install System Center Operations Manager 2007 and verify a successful installation.
Module 3: Configuring Management Group and Agent SettingsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Reviewing the Workspaces
- Using the Web Console
- Working with Views
- Reviewing Security Roles
This module explains how to configure the global management group settings and the individual agent settings within Operations Manager 2007.Lessons
- Install the Operations Console on another system.
- Understand the workspaces and views.
- Work with the Actions available for a given object.
Module 4: Agent InstallationAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Global Settings
- Overriding Global Settings
- Creating Notifications
This module explains how to deploy the Operations Manager agent within the management group.Lessons
- Configure default management group settings.
- Override the default management group setting.
- Configure notification settings and define who will receive the notifications.
Module 5: Management PacksAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Active Directory
- Push Installation
- Manual Installation
- Managing Agents
This module explains how to import, export and manage the objects within a management pack.Lessons
- Create an Active Directory container for automatic agent assignment.
- Configure automatic installation settings.
- Manually install and approve an agent.
Module 6: ReportingAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Management Pack Overview
- Importing and Exporting Management Packs
- Creating and Sealing Management Packs
This module explains how to install and configure SQL Reporting Services and then install Operations Manager Reporting and create reports.Lessons
- Define the components that make up a management pack.
- Create a new management pack.
- Export and import management packs.
- Seal a management pack.
Module 7: Agentless Exception MonitoringAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Installing and Configuring SQL Reporting Services
- Installing Operations Manager Reporting
- Creating and Viewing Reports
This module explains how to configure Agentless Exception Monitoring to monitor for application faults and then monitor the client systems.Lessons
- Install and configure SQL Reporting Services.
- Install and configure Operations Manager Reporting.
- View reports.
- Create reports using Report Builder.
Module 8: Audit Collection ServicesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Exception Monitoring
- Managing Clients
This module explains how to install and configure Audit Collection Services, how to enable forwarders and how to manage collectors and forwarders using the Command Shell.Lessons
- Configure a management server as an Agentless Exception Monitoring collector.
- Configure clients to generate error reports and send them to the management server.
Module 9: Synthetic TransactionsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Audit Collection Services Overview
- Installing Audit Collection Services
- Configuring Forwarders and Collectors
- Importing ACS Reports
This module explains how to create a synthetic transaction to proactively monitor components.Lessons
- Install and configure Audit Collection Services.
- Optimizing auditing.
- Create Auditing reports.
Module 10: Distributed ApplicationsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Synthetic Transactions
This module explains how to create and use distributed applications to provide end-to-end service monitoringLessons
- Create and use Synthetic Transactions.
Module 11: Monitoring Non-Microsoft PlatformsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Distributed Applications
This module introduces the components that allow monitoring of UNIX, Linux and network devices.Lessons
- Create and use Distributed Applications.
Module 12: Complex EnvironmentsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Tools for Monitoring Non-Microsoft Platforms
- Using the Cross-Platform Extensions
This module explains how to configure agents to send monitoring data to multiple management servers in multiple management groups. It also explains how to install and configure a Gateway server for clients in untrusted domains and how to configure multiple management groups to interoperate.Lessons
- Identify and use the built-in tolls for managing non-Microsoft platforms.
- Configure and use the Cross-Platform Extensions for monitoring UNIX and Linux systems.
- Install the Cross-Platform extensions.
Module 13: Backup and RecoveryAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Multi-homing Agents
- Untrusted Environments
- Multi-Tiered Environments
This module explains how to backup and restore a management group and the management servers within the management group.Lessons
- Multi-Home and agent.
- Create a Gateway server to monitor an untrusted domain
- Create connectors to other management groups and third party management products.
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Planning Backup and Restore
- Performing a Backup
- Planning Recovery Strategies
- Identify the components to back up
- Plan a backup strategy
- Implement a backup strategy
- Implement a restore strategy.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Familiarity with PC hardware and devices.
- Experience supporting Windows-based systems.
- Experience authoring and editing batch and script files.
- Experience reviewing Windows application and service logs.
- Experience configuring or supporting distributed application environments.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2003 networking.
- Working Knowledge of Active Directory.
Looking for training resources, events and advice from peers? Join the Microsoft Training and Certification Community.
Preparing for an exam now? Find your Microsoft Certification Study Group.
Talk to us on these social networks: