Course 50527: IT Basics II
July 15, 2011
About this course
Audience profileThis three-day instructor-ledcourse provides students with the knowledge and skills to work with a computer system. This course focuses on the key aspects of a computer system and the features of various the Windows operating system. In addition, this course offers the students the skills to work with Web browsers, email, and the Internet. The students also acquire the knowledge and skills to work with MicrosoftWord 2010, Microsoft Excel 2010 and troubleshoot problems related to the computer.At course completionThis course is intended for users who are new to using computers. They may or may not have prior experience in handling computers for day-to-day work and are expected to learn computer operation, usage of Word 2010 and Excel 2010, and basic Internet browsing. The users are also expected to troubleshoot basic computer issues, network issues, and printer issues.After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Develop practical IT motivation.
- Develop introductory skills of operating a computer
- Develop basic understanding of operating systems.
- Develop basic working skills of using Word 2010, Excel 2010, Web browser, email, and the Internet.
- Use simple computer troubleshooting techniques.
- Course details
Course OutlineModule 1: An Overview of Computer SystemsThis module explains course introduces you to the fundamentals of computing, explains the components of a computer, explores the operating system basics, and helps the student to understand the working of a computer, mouse, and keyboard.Lessons
Module 2: Overview of the Windows Operating SystemAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Basics of Computer Systems
- Computer Hardware
- Computer Software
- Connecting a Computer to a Network
This module explains the features of various Windows operating systems. This module focuses on the interface of the latest Windows 7 operating system. Additionally, this module provides the students with the skill to perform file and folder operations using the Windows operating system installed on their computers.Lessons
- Describe the features of a computer system.
- Explain the hardware components of a computer.
- Explain the software components of a computer.
- Explain the principles of connecting a computer to a network.
- Working with the Windows Operating System
Module 3: Using Web Browsers, Email, and the InternetAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Creating a New Folder
- Creating a New File
- Copying a File To Another Location
- Renaming a File And Folder
This module explains the basic concepts related to the Internet and discusses the components that make up the World Wide Web, which is often referred to as the Web. This module also explains different methods that you can use to communicate over the Internet.Lessons
- Work with the Windows operating system.
- Introduction to the Internet
- Looking for Information on the Internet
- Communicating on the Internet
Module 4: Working with Microsoft Word 2010After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Searching for Information on the Web
- Creating an Email Account
- Writing and Sending an Email Message
This module explains the key features of Word 2010. It explains how to create a document, edit and format a document, insert images and tables in a document. This module also explains how to prepare a document for printing. It focuses on setting up page layout, headers and footers, and margins.Lessons
- Identify key features of the Internet.
- Search for information on the Internet.
- Communicate on the Internet.
- Introduction to Word 2010
- Creating a Word 2010 Document
- Editing and Formatting a Document
- Working with Images
- Working with Tables
- Preparing a Document for Printing
Module 5: Working with Microsoft Excel 2010After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Creating a Document
- Formatting a Document
- Inserting a Table in a Document
- Inserting an Image in a Document
- Setting Up a Page Layout
This module explains the key features of Excel 2010. It explains how to workbook and add data to it. This module also explains how to format data. In addition, this module explains how to represent data in the form of charts.Lessons
- Explain the key features of Word 2010.
- Create a Word 2010 document.
- Edit and format a Word 2010 document.
- Work with images in a Word 2010 document.
- Work with tables in a Word 2010 document.
- Prepare a Word 2010 document for printing.
- Excel 2010 Overview
- Working with Data
- Formatting Data
- Working with Charts
Module 6: Troubleshooting Your ComputerAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Creating a Workbook and Adding Data
- Working with a Worksheet
- Formatting Data
- Creating a Chart
- Formatting a Chart
This module explains the considerations for performing basic troubleshooting tasks of a computer. It also explains certain basic solutions to common issues in a computer. Additionally, the module focuses on guidelines for troubleshooting specific problems involving the network, printer, and power.Lessons
- Explain the components of a worksheet.
- Work with data in a worksheet.
- Format data in a worksheet.
- Work with charts.
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Troubleshooting Problems in Your Computer
- Troubleshooting Network, Printer, and Power Problems
- Identify guidelines for performing basic troubleshooting of a computer.
- Troubleshoot network, printer, and power.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Basic reading and comprehension skills at the level required to read a local newspaper.
- Access to a computer at home, school, or an institution.
Looking for training resources, events and advice from peers? Join the Microsoft Training and Certification Community.
Preparing for an exam now? Find your Microsoft Certification Study Group.
Talk to us on these social networks: