Course 6438A: Implementing and Administering Windows® SharePoint® Services 3.0 in Windows Server® 2008
08 October 2008
About this course
This two-day instructor-led course provides the knowledge and skills that IT Professionals need to configure Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services in Windows Server 2008.The audience of this course is Windows SharePoint Server 3.0 administrators, who are responsible for planning, deploying and managing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 servers and sites in a Windows Server 2008 environment. Students taking this course are expected to have experience administering Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008, and experience working with IIS 6.0 or IIS 7.0. Students are not expected to have experience with Windows SharePoint Services.After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of Windows SharePoint Service 3.0.
- Plan and install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- Administer and manage Windows SharePoint Services servers.
- Create and administer Windows SharePoint Services sites.
- Work with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- Course details
Course OutlineModule 1: Introduction to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0This module explains Windows SharePoint Services components including Web applications and application pools, site collections, and subsites. Windows SharePoint Services also consists of site components such as Web parts, Windows SharePoint Services lists, and Windows SharePoint Services library.Lessons
Module 2: Planning and Installing Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Introduction to the Windows SharePoint Services Environment
- Overview of Windows SharePoint Services Components
- Overview of Site Components
- Introduction to Administering Windows SharePoint Services
This module describes planning and deployment of various Windows SharePoint Services topologies depending on the organizational requirements. In addition, there are different approaches, practices, and considerations that allow the upgrade of Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.Lessons
- Describe the Windows SharePoint Services environment.
- Describe the SharePoint Services components.
- Describe the site components.
- Explain Windows SharePoint Services Administration.
Module 3: Administering and Managing Windows SharePoint Services ServersAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Planning the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Installation
- Planning Windows SharePoint Services Topology
- Performing a New Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Installation
- Upgrading Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
This module explains administration and management of Windows SharePoint Services servers. You can plan for server security by blocking certain types of files, controlling access by using IRM, and by implementing logging and reporting. Windows SharePoint Services also includes several features that you can use to manage Web applications and sites. You can configure certain settings of a Web application after creating the Web application. You can also create a new content database and define the authentication method used to connect to the database. In addition, you can plan the maintenance of the server by taking regular backups and you can monitor the performance of Windows SharePoint Services.Lessons
- Plan the installation of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- Plan Windows SharePoint Services topology.
- Perform a new Windows SharePoint Services installation.
- Upgrade Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
Module 4: Administering Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SitesThis module explains how you can administer a site by configuring the site settings and assigning permissions to it. To manage permissions to the site and to provide an e-mail distribution list for site members, you need to create SharePoint groups. You can also create permission levels and associate them with SharePoint groups. In Windows SharePoint Services, you can customize a site by configuring various features of the site through the Look and Feel section of the Administration pages and master pages.LessonsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configuring Server Security
- Managing Web Applications
- Managing Sites
- Maintaining Servers
- Monitoring Performance
- Configure a server security plan.
- Manage Web application.
- Manage sites.
- Maintain the server.
- Monitor performance.
Module 5: Working with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Managing Site Collections
- Controlling Access to Windows SharePoint Services
- Customizing Sites
This module describes the tasks such as managing sites, lists, surveys, and libraries on a regular basis. You can use site templates to customize the appearance of site elements. You can personalize other features such as alerts, list views, and site views. You can use Microsoft Office 2007 to create a document workspace and synchronize items with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.Lessons
- Describe the process of managing site collection in Microsoft Windows SharePoint Site.
- Explain the method of controlling access to Windows SharePoint Sites.
- Describe site customization.
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Working with Windows SharePoint Services Sites
- Creating and Managing Lists and Surveys
- Managing Libraries
- Working with Microsoft Office 2007
- Describe Windows SharePoint Services sites.
- Create and manage lists and surveys.
- Create and manage libraries.
- Describe how Windows SharePoint Services integrates with Microsoft Office 2007.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Technical background knowledge and hands-on experience on implementing, managing, and supporting Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or 2008, including Internet Information Services (IIS).
- Working knowledge of Active Directory, TCP/IP, and Domain Name System (DNS).
Looking for training resources, events and advice from peers? Join the Microsoft Training and Certification Community.
Preparing for an exam now? Find your Microsoft Certification Study Group.
Talk to us on these social networks: