- April 7, 2014Published:
- English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil)Languages:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- Microsoft System Center 2012 and Microsoft System Center 2012 R2Technology:
- MCP, MCSECredit toward certification:
Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud with System Center 2012
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration, or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Center.
- Configure data center process automation (15–20%)
- Implement SCO Runbook automation; automate remediation of incidents including resolution of System Center Virtual Machine-based incidents; design and build end-to-end automation incorporating System Center 2012 technologies; implement change control and problem resolution workflows
Implement service offerings
- Add a new service offering to the service catalog; create a custom workflow using the Service Manager console; reference Orchestrator workflows in Service Manager; implement self-service provisioning of virtual machines
- Implement workflows
- Deploy resource monitoring (20–25%)
Deploy end-to-end monitoring
- Deploy agents; discover and deploy network device monitoring; import and configure management packs; deploy and configure monitoring of a heterogeneous virtualization infrastructure
Configure end-to-end monitoring
- Configure overrides; create synthetic transactions; configure Outside-In monitoring; configure application performance monitoring (APM); create distributed application models; integrate the monitoring infrastructure with Global Service Monitor (GSM)
Create monitoring reports and dashboards
- Implement service-level tracking; implement reports including chargeback reports and System Center Manager data warehouse reports; implement dashboards
- Deploy end-to-end monitoring
- Monitor resources (20–25%)
Monitor network devices
- Analyze network device health; manage Operations Manager alerts; manage notifications
- Monitor the Operating System Environment (OSE); manage System Center Operations Manager alerts including automating resolution of alerts; manage notifications; implement and manage rules and monitors in Operations Manager; configure Audit Collection Services including Dynamic Access Control integration
Monitor the virtualization layer
- Monitor host and guest performance; monitor virtual applications; manage Operations Manager alerts; manage notifications
Monitor application health
- Application Performance Management (APM); synthetic transactions; manage Operations Manager alerts including automating resolution of alerts; manage notifications; distributed applications
- Monitor network devices
- Configure and maintain service management (15–20%)
Implement service level management
- Define service level objectives (SLOs) and service level agreements (SLAs); implement SLA management and escalation; maintain SLAs (including planning for future growth); analyze SLAs (reporting)
Manage problems and incidents
- Customize problem management, link incidents to problems, and resolve problems; raise, assign, and resolve incidents; perform root cause analysis/diagnosis; integrate problem and incident resolution with change management; create and manage a knowledge base
Manage cloud resources
- Deploy new applications to private and public clouds; deploy VM/service (applications, SQL, roles); deploy multi-tier applications by using service templates; manage applications in private and public clouds; manage VM hardware (CPUs, Dynamic memory); manage self service
- Implement service level management
- Manage configuration and protection (20–25%)
Manage compliance and configuration
- Implement security and compliance (includes IT GRC process management pack); analyze and remediate configuration compliance; analyze data in System Center Advisor; implement configuration compliance by using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Desired Configuration Management (DCM); implement update baseline in System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager
- Update machine roles in a service template; manage and update applications across multiple clouds; manage software updates to System Center Virtual Machine Manager infrastructure, virtual machines, and VM images; deploy patches by using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager; deploy patches by using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
Implement backup and recovery
- Back up/recover product settings; back up/recover the cloud infrastructure; manage backups (protection groups, storage) by using Data Protection Manager (DPM); implement business continuity for the cloud; manage checkpoints; integrate DPM with Microsoft Azure Online Backup
- Manage compliance and configuration
- Instructor-led training
- Exam prep video
Microsoft Certification PREP Talk: Exam 246
In this episode of Prep tips from certification experts, James Seymour, Certification Planner, and Symon Perriman, Senior Technical Evangelist, discuss the relevancy of the skills being measured on Exam 246.
- Practice test
- From the community
Exam Ref 70-246: Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud
Published: September 3, 2014
Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-246—and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of monitoring and operating a private cloud based on Microsoft System Center 2012 R2. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSE level.
Who should take this exam?
Candidates for this exam have Windows Server, System Center 2012, security, high-availability, fault tolerance, and networking experience in an enterprise environment. Candidates should also have basic Microsoft SQL Server, Windows PowerShell knowledge, and application configuration experience.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats, and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.