- April 3, 2008Published:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- Windows Server 2008Technology:
- MCITPCredit toward certification:
Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration, or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Center.
- Planning network and application services (23%)
Plan for name resolution and IP addressing
- Internal and external naming strategy, naming resolution support for legacy clients, naming resolution for directory services, IP addressing scheme, TCP/IP version coexistence
Design for network access
- Network access policies, remote access strategy, perimeter networks, server and domain isolation
Plan for application delivery
- Application virtualization, presentation virtualization, locally installed software, Web-based applications
Plan for Remote Desktop Services
- Terminal Services licensing, Remote Desktop Services infrastructure
- Plan for name resolution and IP addressing
- Designing core identity and access management components (25%)
Design Active Directory forests and domains
- Structure, forest and domain functional levels, intra-organizational authorization and authentication, schema modifications
Design the Active Directory physical topology
- Placement of servers, site and replication topology, printer location policies
Design the Active Directory administrative model
- Delegation, group strategy, compliance auditing, group administration, organizational structure
Design the enterprise-level group policy strategy
- Group policy hierarchy and scope filtering, control device installation, authentication and authorization
- Design Active Directory forests and domains
- Designing support identity and access management components (29%)
Plan for domain or forest migration, upgrade, and restructuring
- Cross-forest authentication, backward compatibility, object migration, migration planning, implementation planning, environment preparation
Design the branch office deployment
- Authentication strategy, server security
Design and implement public key infrastructure
- Certificate services, PKI operations and maintenance, certificate life cycle management
Plan for interoperability
- Inter-organizational authorization and authentication, application authentication interoperability, cross-platform interoperability
- Plan for domain or forest migration, upgrade, and restructuring
- Designing for business continuity and data availability (23%)
Plan for business continuity
- Service availability, directory service recovery
Design for software updates and compliance management
- Patch management and patch management compliance, Microsoft Update and Windows Update, security baselines, system health models
Design the operating system virtualization strategy
- Server consolidation, application compatibility, virtualization management, placement of servers
Design for data management and data access
- Data security, data accessibility and redundancy, data collaboration
- Plan for business continuity
Who should take this exam?
This exam tests the skills and knowledge necessary to translate business goals into technology decisions for short-term to long-term strategies. Passing this exam validates a candidate’s ability to design and plan a Windows Server 2008 R2 environment and architecture. Passing this exam confirms that a candidate has the skills and knowledge necessary for designing infrastructure services, security policies, and business continuity strategies.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats, and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.