- November 27, 2009Published:
- English, German, JapaneseLanguages:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- Windows 7Technology:
- MCP, MCSACredit toward certification:
Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
- Identifying cause of and resolving desktop application issues (20%)
Solve software installation escalations
- Installation permissions; local administrator requirement; licensing restrictions; digital signing
Solve software failure escalations
- Checking the logs; checking whether the application runs in Safe mode; running the application in a previous version of Windows; repairing the installation; checking recently added programs; restoring or reimaging the system
- Solve software installation escalations
- Identifying cause of and resolving networking issues (23%)
Solve enterprise logon issues
- Hardware vs. network; password expiration; trust relationships with machine accounts; determining logon context; logon hours compliance
Solve enterprise network connectivity issues
- Determining scope of issue; determining whether it’s a PC or a network connectivity issue; TCP/IP; hardware and cabling; proxies; default gateway
Solve enterprise names resolution issues
- Checking which DNS is assigned; flushing the DNS cache; nslookup to DNS server; checking the DHCP scopes
Solve enterprise network printer issues
- Hardware failure; server issues; printer failure; network issues; driver issues
- Solve enterprise logon issues
- Managing and maintaining systems that run Windows 7 client (21%)
Identify and/or resolve performance issues
- Analyzing system and application logs; analyzing started services; setting power management; checking hard drive space; optimizing virtual memory
Solve hardware failure issues
- Identifying bad sectors; diagnosing memory issues; recommending replacement hardware; updating the BIOS; determining which component is broken
- Identify and/or resolve performance issues
- Supporting mobile users (18%)
Solve enterprise wireless connectivity issues
- Signal strength; encryption types; encryption keys; wireless profiles; mobile devices
Solve enterprise remote access issues
- VPN client not connecting; IPv6 support; access and authentication to network resources
- Solve enterprise wireless connectivity issues
- Identifying cause of and resolving security issues (18%)
Solve Windows Internet Explorer security issues
- Adding trusted sites; advanced settings; installing plug-ins; identifying group policy restrictions; certificates
Solve enterprise issues due to malicious software
- Analyzing services; analyzing programs; analyzing processes; analyzing browser helper add-ons; user account control
Solve enterprise storage security issues
- Requirements for installing; recovering encryption keys; key management
Solve enterprise software update issues
- Identifying software update level; checking whether client is receiving regularly scheduled updates; identifying incompatibility of update with other applications
- Solve Windows Internet Explorer security issues
- Instructor-led training
- Practice test
- From the community
MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-685): Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
Published: March 15, 2010
This self-paced training kit is designed to help maximize your performance on 70-685, the required exam for the MCSA certification: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. This 2-in-1 kit includes the official Microsoft study guide, plus practice tests on CD to help you assess your skills.
Who should take this exam?
Candidates for this exam support end users who run Microsoft Windows 7 in a corporate environment. They should have experience using applications that are included with the operating system, such as productivity applications used in a corporate environment and Microsoft Office applications.
Candidates should be able to resolve operating system issues by telephone, email, connecting to an end user's system remotely, or by visiting an end user's desktop. They should have a working knowledge of operating in an Active Directory domain environment.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats, and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.