- October 14, 2008Published:
- IT professionalsAudiences:
- 2007 Microsoft Office systemTechnology:
- Microsoft AchievementCredit toward certification:
Delivering Business Value Planning Services
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration, or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Center.
- Prepare for and scope an engagement with a customer (16%)
Validate the availability of Software Assurance (SA) deployment services benefits
- Determine whether the customer has SA, determine how many days the customer is eligible for, determine current licensing
Identify decision makers
- Identify business decision makers and technical decision makers, process owners
Identify business processes to be targeted by this service
- Facilitate a discussion with the customer about problems that they are currently having, brainstorm business processes that need improvement
Define tasks based on customer requirements
- Deliverables based on length of engagement, focus on planning and design versus implementation
- Validate the availability of Software Assurance (SA) deployment services benefits
- Analyze and document the current state of a business process (24%)
Gather business process information
- Prepare a set of interview questions for each role in the process, interview key stakeholders about steps in the business process, identify technology used in the business process
Create a current state business process diagram
- Review existing documentation, work activities, cycle times, task sequencing, role assignments, supporting documents for diagram
Document the current technology infrastructure
- Review existing documentation, analyze data collected during interviews, capacity that existing infrastructure can support, technology skill level of process users, software applications and versions deployed, analyze which technologies support each step in the process
Identify the business impact of problems in the current process
- Problems and/or impacts of current state, cost information per process task
- Gather business process information
- Optimize a business process by using Office system solutions (30%)
Recommend Office system–focused technology changes based on business problems and client requirements
- Which Office system technology to apply to a specific business problem
Recommend business process changes based on business problems and client requirements
- Eliminate process steps, change roles for specific steps in the process, automate manual processes
Conduct a gap analysis
- Technology gap analysis, process gap analysis, skills gap analysis, human capital gap analysis
Create an implementation and adoption plan
- Training plan, communication plan, preliminary project plan, budget, resource plan
- Recommend Office system–focused technology changes based on business problems and client requirements
- Develop a business case for a recommended solution (30%)
Identify and quantify key process benefits
- Productivity improvements, shorter cycle times, data quality improvements, customer satisfaction improvements, risk avoidance, business intelligence improvements, other KPI improvements
Conduct a cost/benefit analysis
- Cost reductions, cost avoidance, revenue improvements, methods of calculating financial return
Identify and mitigate risks for a recommended solution
- Technology risks, business risks, resistance to change, mitigation strategy
Develop a high-level value proposition statement for recommended future state
- Tailor value proposition statements for different audiences
- Identify and quantify key process benefits
Who should take this exam?
Candidates for this exam are professional services consultants and employees of Microsoft partners who document, analyze, and make recommendations for improvements to business processes for customers who use Microsoft Office technologies. Candidates should have at least one year of business analysis experience. They should be familiar with documenting business processes by using business modeling tools. And they must have a basic understanding of Office System solutions, such as enterprise content management, business intelligence, unified communications, and enterprise project management. Candidates should be familiar with business process reengineering concepts.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats, and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.