- September 3, 2013Published:
- Information workersAudiences:
- Microsoft Office 2013 suitesTechnology:
- MOS: Microsoft Word 2013 ExpertCredit toward certification:
Word 2013 Expert Part One
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam. View video tutorials about the variety of question types on Microsoft exams.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
Do you have feedback about the relevance of the skills measured on this exam? Please send Microsoft your comments. All feedback will be reviewed and incorporated as appropriate while still maintaining the validity and reliability of the certification process. Note that Microsoft will not respond directly to your feedback. We appreciate your input in ensuring the quality of the Microsoft Certification program.
If you have concerns about specific questions on this exam, please submit an exam challenge.
If you have other questions or feedback about Microsoft Certification exams or about the certification program, registration, or promotions, please contact your Regional Service Center.
- Manage and share documents (25–30%)
Prepare documents for review
- Set tracking options, limit authors, restrict editing, delete document draft version, remove document metadata, mark as final, protect a document with a password
- Prepare documents for review
- Design advanced documents (25–30%)
Apply advanced formatting
- Use wildcards in find and replace searches, create custom field formats, set advanced layout options, set character space options, set advanced character attributes, create and break section links, link text boxes
Apply advanced styles
- Create custom styles, customize settings for existing styles, create character-specific styles, assign keyboard shortcuts to styles
- Apply advanced formatting
- Create advanced references (25–30%)
Manage forms, fields, and mail merge operations
- Add custom fields, modify field properties, add controls, modify control properties, perform mail merges, manage recipient lists, insert merged fields, preview results
- Manage forms, fields, and mail merge operations
- Create custom Word elements (20–25%)
Create and modify building blocks
- Create custom building blocks, save selections as Quick Parts, edit building block properties, delete building blocks
Create custom style sets and templates
- Create custom color themes, create custom font themes, create custom templates, create and manage style sets
- Create and modify building blocks
Who should take this exam?
Expert-level candidates for the Microsoft Word 2013 exam should have an advanced understanding of the Word environment and the ability to guide others in the proper use of features in Word 2013. They should know and demonstrate the use of advanced and specialized features within the application. Candidates should be able to create, manage, and distribute professional documents for a variety of specialized purposes and situations. They should also be able to customize their Word environment to meet needs and to enhance productivity. Document examples include business plans, legal documents, advertising brochures, and mass mailings. Candidate roles might include editors, project managers, instructors, graduate students, technical writers, and others.
More information about exams
- Preparing for an exam
We recommend that you review this exam preparation guide in its entirety and familiarize yourself with the resources on this website before you schedule your exam. See the Microsoft Certification exam overview for information about registration, videos of typical exam question formats, and other preparation resources. For information on exam policies and scoring, see the Microsoft Certification exam policies and FAQs.
This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format. To help you prepare for this exam, Microsoft recommends that you have hands-on experience with the product and that you use the specified training resources. These training resources do not necessarily cover all of the topics listed in the "Skills measured" section.