The globally recognized standard for IT professionals
Validate your expertise in creating a consistent communications experience for your organization and connecting your colleagues to people around the world.
Earning an MCSE: Communication certification will qualify you for a position in network and computer systems administration.
Skype for Business was recently released, and later this year or in early 2016, new exams covering Skype for Business will be incorporated into the MCSE: Communication credential. The new exams will replace Lync Exam 336 and Exam 337, which are scheduled to retire soon after the Skype for Business exams are released. View the frequently asked questions for more information. See the lists of retired exams and retired certifications.
- Additional options
You can substitute an MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification for the MCSA: Office 365 certification.
- How to upgrade to the MCSE: Communication certification
You can upgrade these certifications to the MCSE: Communication certification.
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
- MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
Step Title Optional training Required exam Certification earned 1 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 417 417 2 Core Solutions of Microsoft Lync Server 2013 336 336 3 Enterprise Voice & Online Services with Microsoft Lync Server 2013 337 337
- How to recertify your MCSE: Communication certification
If you currently hold an MCSE: Communication certification and your three-year recertification date is approaching, you can recertify through Microsoft Virtual Academy.
Frequently asked questions
The following questions specifically address the MCSE: Communication certification. Visit the certification overview or exam policies and FAQ pages for answers to general questions regarding Microsoft Certification or the exams.
- Is my MCSE: Communication certification still valuable even though I earned it by passing Lync exams?
Yes. Skype for Business builds on Lync’s features and functionality. The Lync exams provide you with a solid foundation for your Skype for Business implementation. See what’s new in Skype for Business.
- Will there be a Skype for Business upgrade exam for those who already completed both Lync exams?
No. Once you’ve earned your MCSE: Communication certification you cannot re-earn it. You can, however, keep it current through recertification. Find training courses to gain some Skype for Business skills.
- Does this change the recertification process?
No. Holders of the MCSE: Communication credential are still required to recertify every three years. Recertification is a great way to ensure that you stay current in the latest technology, such as Skype for Business.