Software Assurance by benefit
Planning, training, and home use are popular benefits, but Software Assurance doesn’t stop there. You get a broad range of benefits that help you make the most of your Windows, Office, and server products. Unique technologies, services, and rights help you deploy, manage, and use Microsoft products efficiently. And specialized benefits—such as the option to spread out payments over time—can help you forecast your annual technology budget up to three years in advance.
Discover the value of Software Assurance for your business. The Software Assurance benefits interactive chart (PDF, 768 KB) provides an overview of Software Assurance benefits as well as basic eligibility information.
The Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) provides your employees a way to buy Office 365 subscriptions or the latest versions of Office, Visio, and Project software to use at home at a substantial discount. The Microsoft Home Use Program provides both employees and organizations with exceptional value; providing an economical means for employees to use the same productivity tools at home that they use at work.
Microsoft Home Use Program Offers
- Office 365 Subscription Offer*: Special 30% discount on Office 365 Home or Office 365 Personal annual subscriptions.
- Office 2019 Software Offer: $14.99 for a license of Office Professional Plus 2019 or Office Home and Business 2019 for Mac. (Note: this offer is only available until June 30, 2019).
- Project Professional 2019 Software Offer: $14.99 for a license of Project Professional 2019.
- Visio Professional 2019 Software Offers: $14.99 for a license of Visio Professional 2019.
*Please note that discounts on Office 365 subscriptions through HUP are not yet available in all markets. For more details about Office 365 availability please see the question below “When and on which platform will the Office 365 Subscription offer be available to eligible companies?”
Microsoft Home Use Program Eligibility
The Microsoft Home Use Program is available for employees of Microsoft 365, Office 365, and Office Software Assurance customers.
Eligibility for Office 365 Subscription Offer:
- Commercial and government customers who have purchased ≥ 2,000 licenses of one or a mix of Microsoft 365 E3/E5 and/or Office 365 E3/E5
- Education and non-profit customers who have purchased ≥ 2,000 licenses of Microsoft 365 Education A3/A5, Office Education A3/A5 and/or Office 365 E3/E5
- Customer with Microsoft 365 E3/E5 From SA and/or Office 365 E1/E3/E5 From SA subscriptions
- Customers with active Software Assurance for qualifying Office Applications*.
*Qualifying Office Applications are Office Standard, Office Professional Plus, Office for Mac Standard, Visio Standard, Visio Professional, Project Standard, Project Professional, and/or any standalone Office program (i.e. Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Eligibility for the Office 2019 Software Offer, Project Professional 2019 Software Offer, and Visio Professional 2019 Software Offer:
- Customers with active Software Assurance on Qualifying Office Applications*. Employees of these customers who use the Qualifying Office Applications at work are eligible to purchase the Microsoft Home Use Program software for use on a personal device during the term of their employment.
- Customers with Microsoft 365 E3/E5 From SA and/or Office 365 E1/E3/E5 From SA subscriptions
The program is already available to employees of eligible companies worldwide. Admins will be able to see and manage this benefit on Microsoft Store for Business (MSfB) and employees can access this offer on www.microsoft.com/home-use-program. Exception: Customers in the following countries will not receive this offer at this time. We will provide an update on the availability of the offer in these regions soon: Russia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Macau, and Venezuela
The HUP offer on Office Professional Plus 2019, Visio Professional 2019, and Project Professional 2019 already exists for all Software Assurance and From SA customers. Administrators will have to transition the management of the HUP benefit to Microsoft Store for Business (MSfB) from Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and direct employees to www.microsoft.com/home-use-program instead of to www.microsofthup.com.
The following markets are exceptions:
US, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Antarctica, British Virgin Islands, Burkina Faso, Caicos Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Congo, Congo (DRC), Cook Islands, Djibouti, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Gabon, Gambia, The Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Mauritania, Micronesia, Montserrat, Nauru, Niger, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Swaziland, Tokelau, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Yemen:
- Until April 9, 2019, Administrators in the above markets will continue to manage the benefit in VLSC and employees will be able to access the benefit on www.microsofthup.com. NOTE: Backup media is not available for HUP Office 2019 products.
- Starting April 9, 2019: Administrators in the above markets will have until May 13, 2019 to transition the management of this benefit to MSfB, after which employees will only be able to claim their HUP offers on www.microsoft.com/home-use-program.
- From April 9, 2019- May 13, 2019, customers in these markets with still be able to manage their benefits in VLSC, but we highly encourage them to use the month to familiarize themselves with the new platform and follow the instructions in this guide ‘Microsoft Home Use Program – A guide for Software Assurance Customers’ (found in the Resources section below) to seamlessly transition over to MSfB. Please refer to the FAQ in the guide for any questions on the process.
Exception: China, Hong Kong, Macau, Japan, Russia and Venezuela:
- Until further notice, customers in these markets will continue to manage their HUP benefits for Office Professional Plus 2019, Office Home and Business 2019, Visio Professional 2019, and Project Professional 2019 on the old platforms. No change in process.
- Admins will continue to manage the benefit on VLSC and employees will be able to access the benefit on www.microsofthup.com. NOTE: Backup media is not available for HUP Office 2019 products.
- The Office Professional Plus 2019 and Office Home & Business 2019 for Mac will only be available until June 30, 2019.
Microsoft Home Use Program activation process for the Office 365 Subscription Offer
No, benefit administrators whose company qualifies for the HUP discount on Office 365 Home and Personal subscriptions can view and manage their HUP benefit only on the Microsoft Store for Business.
Please refer to this guide, ‘Microsoft Home Use Program – A guide for Software Assurance Customers’, found in the Resources section below on how to activate the Home Use Program benefit on MSfB. Please refer to the FAQ in the guide for any questions on the process.
Azure Active Directory (AAD) is an identity and access management solution. It is an identity service that helps Microsoft Store for Business (MSfB) validate your organization. Signing up for Azure AD does not require on-prem customers to move their existing services to the cloud or purchase additional licenses. For more information, see Azure Active Directory.
To update and modernize the Home Use Program (HUP) to a broader range of license and product benefits, we needed to change the way we fulfill HUP. Microsoft Store for Business is used for eligibility validation and to assign HUP benefits, and for that it relies on Azure AD to connect information from VSLC and to validate the email domains your organization's employees are on. More information can be found here.
Microsoft Home Use Program Office 365 Subscription Offer employee purchase process
Employees can check their eligibility and view the available discounts on the new HUP store at www.microsoft.com/home-use-program. Please be aware that the new HUP store is not yet available in all countries. While benefit administrators can still setup and manage the benefit in the Microsoft Store for Business, their employees will not be able to view the discounts if they are located in an unsupported market.*
Unless mentioned in the exceptions above, once the benefit administrator activates the HUP benefit in MSfB, employees will be able to claim the benefit on the Microsoft Home Use Program page (www.microsoft.com/home-use-program).
This is a transition from the www.microsofthup.com that employees used to claim the benefit on previously. This platform will not have the new HUP offer (30% off on Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal). To claim this offer, employees will have to go to the platform mentioned above.
Eligible employees of customers in the US will have access to both platforms until May 13, 2019. They will only be able to see their HUP offers on Microsoft Home Use Program page (www.microsoft.com/home-use-program) once the administrator activates the benefit. For detailed instructions on the activation process for Software Assurance administrators in the Microsoft Store for Business, see the guide available in the Resources section below.
Employees of customers in all markets, except those listed as exceptions above, should follow this process to claim their HUP offers:
- Sign Up: Visit www.microsoft.com/home-use-program >> Enter your corporate email address >> click on Get Started
- Confirm: An email will then be sent to the employee’s corporate email address with a link that will authenticate their eligibility for the program
- Sign In: Once they have been authenticated, they will begin the purchase process by providing their Microsoft account that’s associated with their personal email address which will allow them to view the discounts on products available to them based on your organization’s Home Use Program benefit
- Shop: The purchase is processed and completed in the Microsoft Store. The employee can install Office 365 on their personal devices after the purchase is complete. Employees who buy Office 365 Home can share their subscription with up to 5 members of their household
Get the word out
Make sure that your employees understand the value of this benefit—with help from the downloadable employee communication content available on the Microsoft Store for Business on the HUP Administrator page.
Resources for Benefit Administrators:
For questions or issues in the Microsoft Store for Business contact: Store for Business Admin support (See also FAQ page for admins within MSfB)
For questions or issues with eligibility, licensing agreements, or other issues with the VLSC site, contact Volume Licensing Support.
Resources for Employees:
If you purchased products on the Microsoft Store you can view your order history using your Microsoft account at https://account.microsoft.com/services/
If you purchased on www.microsofthup.com (now retired) and you can no longer reach that site, then please review the FAQs on www.microsoft.com/homeuseprogram to find a link for how to request your order history.
HUP employee FAQ: https://aka.ms/hup_faq
Employee Support: https://support.microsoft.com/