Software Assurance by benefit
The Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) provides your employees a way to buy Office 365 subscriptions or the latest versions of Office, Visio, and Project software to use at home at a substantial discount. The Home Use Program provides both employees and organizations with exceptional value; providing an economical means for employees to use the same productivity tools at home that they use at work.
Office 365 Subscriptions
With the Microsoft Home Use Program, Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal subscriptions will be available at a discount to all your employees regardless if they use Office or Office 365 within your organization. Additionally, the discount is portable; if for any reason your employees leave your organization they can keep their discounted Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal subscription as long as their subscription remains active without lapse. For your employees to take advantage of the Microsoft Home Use Program discount for Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal subscriptions they just need a valid corporate email address and an active Microsoft Account, and your organization will need to either:
- Have active Software Assurance for qualifying Office applications,
- Have Office 365/Microsoft 365 E3/E5 From SA,
- Have purchased ≥ 2,000 licenses of one or a mix of Office 365/Microsoft 365 E3/E5, if you are a commercial or government customer, or
- Have purchased ≥ 2,000 licenses of one or a mix of Office 365/Microsoft 365 A3/A5 and/or Office 365 E3/E5, if you are an education or non-profit customer.
*Please note that discounts on Office 365 subscriptions through HUP are not yet available in some regions. Please review the General FAQ further down on this page for more information.
Customers with active Software Assurance coverage on Qualifying Office Applications” are eligible to participate in the Microsoft Home Use Program allowing their employees to purchase the latest versions of Office Professional Plus, Office for Mac Home & Business, Visio Professional, and Project Professional at a significant discount. Those employees who use the Qualifying Office Applications at work can purchase the Microsoft Home Use Program software for use on a personal device during the term of their employment as long as the company continues to qualify for the benefit. Click here for details on how to get started using this benefit.
Qualifying Office Applications are Office Standard, Office Professional Plus, Office for Mac Standard, Visio Standard, Visio Professional, Project Standard, Project Professional, and/or any standalone Office program (i.e. Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
With the Microsoft Home Use Program, your employees get the Office experience they want at home, building the skills to help them be more productive at home and at work. Let your employees join the more than 15 million others to date who have taken advantage of the Microsoft Home Use Program!
Activating and using the HUP Benefit - FAQs
Office 365 Subscriptions
IT administrators whose company qualifies for the HUP discount on O365 Home and Personal subscriptions can view and manage their HUP benefit on the Microsoft Store for Business.
- Create an Azure AD directory: Before you sign up for Microsoft Store for Business or Microsoft Store for Education, you'll need an Azure Active Directory (AD) or Office 365 account for your organization, and you'll need to be the global administrator for your organization. For more information, click here:
- Sign up for the Microsoft Store for Business: Before signing up for Microsoft Store, make sure you're the global administrator for your organization. Please follow instructions here.
- Enable your employees to view O365 discounts by adding company domains to your AAD: Any employee with an company email address ending in a domain that has been added to your AAD tenant will be able to view and purchase discounts on Office 365 Home or Personal. You can update and change your domains by following these instructions.
- View and manage your HUP benefit in Microsoft Store for Business: Once you complete the steps above, (the global admin can) sign in to view and manage their HUP benefit. From the MSfB home page, navigate to Products & Services, then Benefits, then Home Use Program
- To view which domains are approved for purchasing, click on the Domains tab. Any employee with a work email address ending in domains listed on this page will be able to view O365 discounts. If you don’t see the domains you want to approve, please add them in your AAD tenant as mentioned in step 3 above.
- Invite employees: Please note that for O365 you do not have to invite employees in order to make them eligible for discounts but the best way to tell them about the benefit is by Inviting them. You can invite individual users or distribution lists as long as they are listed in AAD.
Employees can check their eligibility and view the available discounts on the new HUP store at www.microsoft.com/home-use-program. Please be aware that the new HUP store is not yet available in all countries. While IT administrators can still setup and manage the benefit in the Microsoft Store for Business, their employees will not be able to view the discounts if they are located in an unsupported market.
Office Professional Plus, Office Home and Business, Project Professional, Visio Professional
Companies that qualify for discounts on the products above through their Software Assurance benefit, will no longer manage their HUP benefit through the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) or Business Center Portal (BCP). IT admininistrators can set up authentication preferences now for the products above on the Microsoft Store for Business which will allow employees to view the discounted products on the new Microsoft HUP store beginning January 31, 2019 at www.microsoft.com/home-use-program. If a company qualifies for the non-subscription products listed above and has employees located in the unsupported markets, IT administrators will be able to continue to manage their benefit in VLSC and BCP and employees will continue to purchase those products at www.microsofthup.com until the countries become available on the new HUP store.
All IT admins except those in unsupported markets, should follow the steps below. Please note that both the HUP admin site on VLSC and the HUP store on www.microsofthup.com will retire on January 31, 2019. Beginning January 23, 2019, admins will need to reactivate their benefit in the Microsoft Store for Business
- Make the move from VLSC to Microsoft Store for Business: For SA customers, Global Admins must register their work account in the Volume Licensing Service Center. Instructions located here: https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/FAQDetails.aspx?id=284#298 This is effectively creating an AAD tenant (as described in the O365 section above) if you don’t already have one by following the steps in VLSC, it will ensure that all of your licenses are transferred to the new HUP admin page on the Microsoft Store for Business.
- Navigate to the Home Use Program in the Microsoft Store for Business using your work account. Instructions located here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/sign-up-microsoft-store-for-business. Note: If you are already signed into VLSC with a work account that is the Global Administrator for your company in Microsoft Store for Business, there will be a direct link in the VLSC HUP admin page that will take you to the Microsoft Store for Business.
- Enable your employees to view non-subscription discounts by assigning licenses to each user: Unlike O365 products, in order to make employees eligible for non-subscription products, admins must assign the license(s) to each user that they want to be able to view/use the discount. To make users eligible for assignment, they need to have a work identity in the organizations AAD tenant. Once a user has a work identity in AAD, the Admin can go to the Home Use Program admin page in MSfB and follow these steps:
- Click on the “Invite employees tab”
- Click on the non-subscription product for which they want to assign a license
- Click “Invite employees”
- Enter the AAD identity for the user(s) that you want to invite. If you want to invite more than one employee at a time, you can create a DL in your AAD.
- Select the agreement from which you want to assign a license
- Click “invite”
- After this the license will be removed from your HUP license pool.
- Note: Any employee with a company email address ending in a domain that has been added to your AAD tenant will be able to view and purchase discounts on Office 365 Home or Personal. You can update and change your domains by following these instructions. For O365 you do not have to invite employees in order to make them eligible for discounts, only add their domain to your AAD.
Beginning January 23, 2018 employees that qualify for non-subscription products, will be able to see these products at a discounted price in the new Microsoft HUP store once their IT administrator has completed the setup process in the Microsoft Store for Business. Employees located in a country that is not supported on the new Microsoft HUP store and working for a company that is eligible for non-subscription products through their Software Assurance benefit, they can continue to purchase those products on www.microsofthup.com until the country is supported on the new Microsoft HUP store.
General program - FAQ
Discounts on Office 365 Home and Personal subscriptions are offered to eligible companies worldwide except for the following markets: United States, China, Japan, Russia, Hong Kong, Macao, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, American Samoa, Antarctica, British Virgin Islands, Burkina Faso, Caicos Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Congo, Congo (DRC), Cook Islands, Djibouti, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Gabon, Gambia, The Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Mauritania, Micronesia, Montserrat, Nauru, Niger, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Swaziland, Tokelau, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Wallis and Futuna, Yemen
Discounts on Office Professional Plus 2019, Office Home and Business 2019 for Mac, Project Professional 2019, and Visio Professional 2019 are offered to eligible companies worldwide, although purchasing platform will vary by market.
The list of products varies by region, offering, application, version, and language. HUP offers your qualifying employees a discounted Office 365 subscription or Office software download. As an example, your qualifying employees who use Office Professional Plus 2019 on their work computers at your company would be eligible to acquire a license for the corresponding Home Use Program software for use on one device or a subscription to Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal. See the Microsoft Product Terms for a list of qualifying Office applications and corresponding licenses for Software Assurance customers.
30% discount on Office 365 Home or Personal annual subscription for home use or $14.99 for a license of Office Professional Plus 2019 or Office Home and Business 2019 for Mac. Prices can change and do vary outside the United States.
As the Volume Licensing customer, you are not responsible for your individual employee’s compliance with the Home Use Program end-user license terms. Those terms are between Microsoft and the individual employee. We do require that you limit Home Use Program access to employees and tell them when they should discontinue use of the Home Use Program software—for example, if your Software Assurance coverage ends or the employee leaves employment.
Get the word out
Make sure that your employees understand the value of this benefit—with help from the downloadable employee communication content available on the Microsoft Store for Business on the HUP Administrator page.