Features and Capabilities
The Bing Maps Isochrone API calculates the area that can be traveled to within a specified distance or time and provides a travel time or distance polygon to visualize the shape of that area on a map.
Why Isochrone API?
Do you need to understand an area for a future business location, a customer delivery radius, or determine transit or commute times? With the Bing Maps Isochrone API, you can calculate an area of interest and visualize the travel-time or travel-distance polygon shape on a map. You can apply spatial math queries to this shape and gain deeper insights to enhance planning.
What it can do
- Visualize travel times for several modes of transportation, including walking, driving and public transit.
- Optimize planning by avoiding routes, such as bridges, ferries or tolls.
- Take advantage of customizable parameters, like arrival or departure times (reverse flow), predicted traffic, user’s location and more.
How it works
For example, by querying a dataset of gas stations using Bing Spatial Data Services, you can manipulate the slider to see the gas stations that are within a 10, 15, 20, and 25-minute drive or walk from the center of the map. This time-based search provides a visualization of the area in the form of a drive-time polygon and then filters the pushpins on the map that are within the isochrone. This is useful when performing queries like “Which locations are within 15 minutes of here.”
Move the map to load data for the new map view. Click on a pushpin to see some basic information for that location.
- Real estate – Determine potential home locations near a given location (e.g., workplace, schools, amenities).
- Stolen vehicle recovery – Outline the search area by using a time-based search of how far the vehicle could have traveled.
- Zoning and transportation planning – Determine the area for vehicle service.
- Retail and restaurants – Evaluate promotional opportunities at a current location or explore new areas for expansion.
Interact with Isochrone API
Generate isochrones on a map showing select business types within a specified walking or driving time.
Frequently Asked Questions
To try this service, create a basic account, which will provide up to 125K transactions per calendar year at no charge. Above this usage limit, you will need to purchase a license. To purchase a Transactions license, contact a Bing Maps Sales Specialist. To start developing with this API, use the Isochrone API documentation.
Isochrone API is available for Internal transaction website licensing. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
Enterprise Customers will be able to license via Internal Website Transactions. If you are not licensed for Internal Transactions, you can purchase these from your sales partner.
- You will need to create a separate account ID on the Bing Maps Dev Center that will be linked to your Internal Website Transactions license.
- Isochrone API is available for Internal Website Transactions licensing. It is not available for Known User or Light Known User, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
Note – This API will increase the consumption of billable transactions, which may result in the need to purchase additional transactions.
Consumption of the Isochrone API is 1 call = 1 billable transaction. With a Basic key, you can try the API at no cost for up to 125K transactions per calendar year. For an Enterprise key, you will need to purchase billable transactions based upon your consumption. Contact a Bing Maps Sales Specialist for pricing.
To try the Isochrone API, you will need to create a Basic key. When you are ready to deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key. To learn more about the Bing Maps keys, go to the Get Started page.
The Isochrone API is available for Basic and Enterprise accounts (normal TOU limits will apply for Basic accounts), and is available for Internal Website transactions only. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
If you would like to try the API, you can create a Basic key. To deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key. To learn more about the Bing Maps keys, go to the Get Started page.
More APIs from Bing Maps
Distance Matrix API
Calculate travel times and distances between a set of origins and destinations.
Calculate the area that can be travelled to within a specified distance or time.
Multi-Itinerary Optimization API
Automate itineraries for multiple agents while optimizing all their routes.
Snap to Road API
Advanced data visualization and asset tracking with coordinates that follow the geometry of the road.
Truck Routing API
Designed for professional transportation routing logistics.