Calculate the area that can be travelled to within a specified distance or time
With the Bing Maps Isochrone API, determine a travel-time or travel-distance polygon for the area that you can reach, using time-specific or distance specific isolines. Easy to develop and customize, simply determine the rest service call based on time or distance from a starting point, including predictive traffic, and the ability to set parameters for routes that you want to avoid. Additionally, combine it with additional polygons to view the overlapping areas within the specified time or travel distance, to further optimize your travel area of interest.
Bing Maps Isochrone API Features
Travel-time or Travel-distance isolines
Supports driving, walking, and public transportation
Predictive traffic for the targeted area
Avoid routes that use toll or highways
Multiple polygons, to determine intersecting area
Visualize what’s near and far
Calculate the area that can be travelled to within a specified distance or time and render a travel time or distance polygon to visualize the shape of that area on a map.
You can use the Bing Maps Isochrone API to plan the area that can be reached from a designated starting point within a set time period. Try the demo to see how it works.
How it works
For example by querying a dataset of gas stations using Bing Spatial Data Services, you can manipulate the slider to see the gas stations that are within a 10, 15, 20, and 25-minute drive or walk from the center of the map.
This time-based search provides a visualization of the area in the form of a polygon and then filters the pushpins on the map that are within the isochrone. This is useful when performing queries like "Which locations are within 15 minutes of here."
Move the map to load data for the new map view. Click on a pushpin to see some basic information for that location.
locations within Travel Time
Bing Maps Fleet and Logistics API Services
From personalized experiences to advanced scenarios in the logistics sector, Bing Maps has you covered. Check out the geospatial API services and solutions for enhanced fleet management, routing, vehicle tracking and more.
- Distance Matrix API – Calculate travel times and distance in many-to-many scenarios, with an optional histogram to predict traffic.
- Truck Routing API – Determine travel routes that take into consideration a truck or commercial vehicle’s attributes.
- Snap to Road API – Snap the path to the most logical path, using the vehicles GPS trace, as well as returns road attributes, such as speed limit and elevation.
- Multi-Itinerary Optimization API – Automate the process of building itineraries for multiple agents, saving travel distance and time.
Isochrone API uses billable transactions. If you have a Bing Maps key, review the Isochrone API documentation to learn more and start developing your solution. If you don’t have a Bing Maps key, create a Bing Maps account and create a key to authenticate your application. Then follow the documentation to start developing your solution.
For Licensing questions, contact a Bing Maps Sales Specialist.
A: To try this service, create a basic account, which will provide up to 125K transactions per calendar year at no charge. Above this usage limit, you will need to purchase a license. To purchase a Transactions license, contact a Sales Specialist. To start developing with this API, use the Isochrone API documentation.
- Isochrone API is available for Internal transaction website licensing. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
A: Enterprise Customers will be able to license via Internal Website Transactions. If you are not licensed for Internal Transactions, you can purchase these from your sales partner.
- You will need to create a separate account ID on the Bing Maps Dev Center that will be linked to your Internal Website Transactions license.
- Isochrone API is available for Internal Website Transactions licensing. It is not available for Known User or Light Known User, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
Note - This API will increase the consumption of billable transactions, which may result in the need to purchase additional transactions.
A: Consumption of the Isochrone API is 1 call = 1 billable transaction. With a Basic key, you can try the API at no cost for up to 125K transactions per calendar year. For an Enterprise key, you will need to purchase billable transactions based upon your consumption. Contact a Sales Specialist for pricing.
A: To try the Isochrone API, you will need to create a Basic key. When you are ready to deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key.
A: The Isochrone API is available for Basic and Enterprise accounts (normal TOU limits will apply for Basic accounts), and is available for Internal Website transactions only. It is not available for Known or Light Known users, or for Asset Management per asset licensing.
If you would like to try the API, you can create a Basic key. To deploy into production, you will need to upgrade to an Enterprise key.
Bing Maps Resources
- Click here for Bing Maps case studies.