Truck Routing API
Right-sized routing for commercial vehicles
For commercial routing, there are special requirements that need to be considered. Calculate routes that take into consideration attributes for trucks and other commercial vehicles that may not be able to use consumer routing services.
Truck Attributes and Considerations
The Bing Maps Truck Routing API calculates routes that take into consideration the attributes for trucks and other commercial vehicles.
Why Truck Routing?
It’s a costly and potentially dangerous situation when your truck is stranded at a bridge overpass that is too low. When routing commercial vehicles, there are special requirements that need to be considered. Consumer routing services, made for cars and other consumer vehicles, don’t account for these requirements.
Optimized Routing for Commercial Vehicles
Bing Maps Truck Routing API is a commercial routing tool that calculates routes optimized for trucks and other commercial vehicles. Designed for professional transportation routing logistics, the API calculates safe and efficient routes that consider a vehicle’s attributes in relation to any route limitations. It also uses predictive traffic to determine the best day and time for deliveries, especially for areas that tend to be more congested. The routes include information such as route instructions, travel duration, and travel distance.
Parameters and Preferences
You can set the following parameters and preferences:
- Vehicle’s dimensions and weight
- Number of axles and/or number of trailers
- Speed limitations
- Legal restrictions and permit requirements, such as transporting flammable materials
- Road conditions (strong crosswind areas, construction, road gradient, etc.)
- Avoid routes, such as toll roads, highways, ferries and more
Try Truck Routing
Interact with routes calculated for commercial vehicles based and predefined vehicle attributes.
Frequently Asked Questions
To try this service, create a basic account, which will provide up to 125K transactions per calendar year at no charge. Above this usage limit, you will need to purchase a license. To purchase a Transactions license, contact a Sales Specialist. To start developing with this API, use the Truck Routing API documentation.
- Truck Routing API is available for Internal Website Transactions licensing. It is not available for Known or Light Known users.
- For Mobile Asset Management, the Truck Routing API is available by purchasing an add-on license (Note: You must have the underlying Asset Management per asset license first).
Enterprise Customers will be able to license via the following options:
- Internal Website Transactions (when using in an application that is not related to asset tracking) – If you are not licensed for Internal Transactions, you can purchase these from your sales partner.
- You will need to create a separate account ID on the Bing Maps Dev Center that will be specific to your internal transaction usage.
- The Truck Routing API is available for Internal transaction website licensing. It is not available for Public transaction website licensing, or for Known or Light Known users.
Note: This API will increase the consumption of billable transactions, which may result in the need to purchase additional transactions.
- Per Asset (applicable when being used as part of asset tracking solution) – To use the Truck Routing API, you will need an underlying Asset Management per asset license (with or without routing) and will the need to purchase an additional per asset license for the use of this new service. For licensing and pricing questions, please contact a Sales Specialist.
The Truck Routing API supports up to 25 waypoints, with a minimum of 2 waypoints per call. See the Truck Routing API documentation for more information.
Currently, we support coverage in 80 countries, with plans to expand as more information becomes available in other countries regarding its road segment restrictions. Truck Routing support coverage: Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Réunion, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Vatican City, Vietnam.
The Truck Routing API does not support waypoint reordering. You can use the Bing Maps Distance Matrix API, in a many-to-many waypoint scenario, for enhanced route optimization along with the Truck Routing API. First, use the Distance Matrix API to get an estimate of times for each route and then determine the best time for each route. Once you have the order of each route, use the Truck Routing API to get directions for each route (point A to point B).
You can use the Truck Routing API for navigation. However, to advance to the next instruction, the user would need to initiate the switch to the next step (i.e. push a button), rather than the application automatically advancing to the next instruction based on the GPS position of the device. Similarly, if the user were to go off course, they would need to initiate the action to calculate a new route rather than this being initiated automatically based on a sensor event.
More APIs from Bing Maps
Distance Matrix API
Calculate travel times and distances between a set of origins and destinations.
Calculate the area that can be travelled to within a specified distance or time.
Multi-Itinerary Optimization API
Automate itineraries for multiple agents while optimizing all their routes.
Advanced data visualization and asset tracking with coordinates that follow the geometry of the road.
Truck Routing API
Designed for professional transportation routing logistics.