Editor’s note 12/04/2017:
For customers whose licenses qualify for OOS but do not have access to the Volume License Servicing Center, the following actions are possible:
- VL or Open customers can contact their Support Center.
- Direct customers can submit a request from their Office 365 admin center or contact support.
We are excited to announce our second major update to Office Online Server (OOS), which includes support for Windows Server 2016 as well as several improvements. OOS allows organizations to provide users with browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote, among other capabilities offered in Office Online, from their own datacenter.
In this release, we officially offer support for Windows Server 2016, which has been highly requested. If you are running Windows Server 2016, you can now install OOS on it. Please verify that you have the latest version of the OOS release to ensure the best experience.
In addition, this release includes the following improvements:
- Performance improvements to co-authoring in PowerPoint Online.
- Equation viewing in Word Online.
- New navigation pane in Word Online.
- Improved undo/redo in Word Online.
- Enhanced W3C accessibility support for users who rely on assistive technologies.
- Accessibility checkers for all applications to ensure that all Office documents can be read and authored by people with different abilities.
We encourage OOS customers to visit the Volume License Servicing Center to download the April 17, 2017 release. You must uninstall the previous version of OOS to install this release. We only support the latest OOS version—with bug fixes and security patches available from Microsoft Updates Download Center.
Customers with a Volume Licensing account can download OOS from the Volume License Servicing Center at no cost and will have view-only functionality—which includes PowerPoint sharing in Skype for Business. Customers that require document creation and edit and save functionality in OOS need to have an on-premises Office Suite license with Software Assurance or an Office 365 ProPlus subscription. For more information on licensing requirements, please refer to our product terms.