Manage my business

IRS standard mileage rates of 2019

The IRS standard mileage rates for 2019 are:

  • 58 cents per business mile, which is up from 54.5 cents in 2018
  • 20 cents per mile for medical or moving, which was previously 18 cents per mile in 2018
  • 14 cents per mile for charity purposes, no change from 2018

How do you use the standard mileage rate for the mileage deduction?

The standard mileage rate determines how much your mileage deduction is worth. You tally up your business drives for the year and then multiply that by the standard mileage rate.

How does the IRS calculate the 2019 standard mileage rate?

The IRS knows there’s a cost to using a personal car for business reasons and it offers a tax break for this. It uses a variety of factors to determine the standard mileage rate. These factors include:

  • Cost of gasoline
  • The average cost of maintaining a car
  • Average wear-and-tear on a vehicle
  • Other factors (the IRS doesn’t disclose the exact factors)

What were the business mileage rates for 2019, 2018 and previous years?

YearRate Per MileDates Covered
201958 cents1/01/19-12/31/19
201854.5 cents1/01/18-12/31/18
201753.5 cents1/01/17-12/31/17
201654 cents1/01/16-12/31/16
201557.5 cents1/01-15-12/31/15
201456 cents1/01/14-12/31/14
201356 cents1/01/13-12/31/13
201255.5 cents1/01/12-12/31/12
201151 cents1/01/11-12/31/11

Do I need a mileage log?

Yes, the IRS requires you to keep a mileage log if you deduct your business miles. A mileage-tracking app can make this an easy experience.

Can employees deduct their mileage?

No, W2 employees can no longer deduct mileage. The self-employed can still write off their mileage as a business expense. The change was part of the tax reform bill of 2017.

Get started with Microsoft 365

It’s the Office you know, plus the tools to help you work better together, so you can get more done—anytime, anywhere.

Buy Now
Related content
Manage my business

When are LLC taxes due? Tips for filing LLC taxes.

Read more

Business Insights and Ideas does not constitute professional tax or financial advice. You should contact your own tax or financial professional to discuss your situation.