Exchange Server 2019 licensing
Learn about your options for licensing Exchange Server 2019.
With this license type, a license must be assigned for each instance of the server software that is being run. There are two server editions:
- Standard: designed for the mailbox needs of small to midsize organizations. Also appropriate for non-mailbox roles in a larger Exchange deployment. This edition supports 1 to 5 mailbox databases.
- Enterprise: designed for larger organizations that may require a greater number of mailbox databases. This edition supports 1 to 100 mailbox databases.
Client access licenses (CALs)
With this license type, a CAL is required for each user or device that accesses the server software. There are two types of CALs for Exchange, both of which work with either edition of the server:
- Standard: designed to help users be more productive from virtually any platform, browser, or mobile device, with features in Exchange Server 2019 that help your users be productive no matter where they are—while helping protect your organization's data. To enable Standard CAL features for a user, the user must be licensed with the Standard CAL.
- Enterprise: designed to allow organizations to reduce the cost and complexity of meeting compliance requirements with new integrated archiving functionality and information protection capabilities. The Enterprise CAL is sold as an add-on to the Standard CAL—to enable Enterprise CAL features, the user must be licensed with one Standard CAL plus one Enterprise CAL.
The following table provides a detailed feature breakdown for each CAL.
|Standard CAL||Standard plus Enterprise CAL1|
|Email, calendar, contacts, and tasks|| || || |
|Outlook on the web (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Edge support)|| || || |
|Apps for Outlook and Outlook on the web|| || || |
|Site mailboxes2|| || || |
|Role-based access control (RBAC) capabilities|| || || |
Per user/distribution list
|Journal decryption|| || || |
|Retention policies|| |
Default and custom
Default and custom
|In-Place Archive2|| || || |
|Multi-mailbox search|| || || |
|In-Place Hold2|| || || |
|Information protection and control (IPC): transport protection rules, Outlook protection rules, Information Rights Management (IRM) search|| || || |
-  The Exchange Enterprise CAL is available in two variants: with and without Services. The Enterprise CAL with Services also includes Exchange Online Protection (anti-malware and anti-spam services), plus cloud DLP in Microsoft 365. Note that if you buy either the Standard CAL or the Enterprise CAL without Services, you can also purchase Exchange Online Protection as a standalone plan. DLP services in Microsoft 365 are not available as a standalone plan.
-  These features have specific Outlook version requirements. . Learn more