Apple Pay: How to Set It up & Why You May Need It
Apple Pay offers merchants and consumers a secure payment option called contactless payment. This payment option provides convenience and peace of mind when completing everyday transactions. Read on to learn the benefits of Apple’s mobile device payment system and how to begin accepting or making payments.
What is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is a contactless payment technology created by Apple. This means that customers can complete debit or credit transactions without handling a physical card. It’s a simple way for customers to pay you for goods or services. I’ve found that the easier it is for people to pay you, the better it is for your business.
Using Apple Pay is as simple as holding a device to a contactless payment reader with one finger on the Touch ID. Eligible devices include newer models of iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches or Macs. Transactions complete in seconds. Your customers’ card number and security code are never exposed. This makes for a safer and easier transaction.
Apple’s mobile payment service is available at millions of stores worldwide. This puts small businesses with contactless payment readers at an advantage with tech-savvy consumers. You can make life even easier by setting up the app on your own device. This will make completing everyday purchases for your business more secure and streamlined.
How to set up your POS to accept payments
Your business can accept Apple Pay as payment after you set up a contactless payment-capable point-of-sale terminal with Apple Pay enabled.
- Contact your payment provider to set up a contactless payment point-of-sale terminal in your store. If you have a non-supported point-of-sale terminal, see if you are eligible for a free terminal upgrade. If you have a contactless payment point-of-sale terminal in your store, move to the next step.
- Ask the payment provider to enable the terminal to accept Apple Pay.
- Display the Apple Pay symbol on your point-of-sale terminal.
How to set up Apple Pay to make payments
Before setting up the service, you will need:
- Supported iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch or Mac (See the Apple website for a list of supported devices)
- Latest iOS, watchOS or macOS version
- Supported debit, credit or prepaid card (See the Apple website for a list of supported banks)
- Apple ID
Then, complete the following steps to start using Apple Pay:
- On iPhone: Tap Wallet, then Add Credit or Debit Card.
- On iPad: Tap Settings, then Wallet & Apple Pay. Tap Add Credit or Debit Card.
On Apple Watch: Launch the Watch app on your iPhone and tap the Watch tab. Tap Wallet & Apple Pay. Then, tap Add Credit or Debit Card.
On Mac: Click Systems Preference, then click Wallet & Apple Pay. Click Add Card.
- Complete the on-screen instructions to add the card. Enter the card’s security code if requested.
- Tap or click Next to complete verification of your bank or issuer. Enter any additional verification information requested. If you need to leave the current screen, you can return to the card in Settings, Wallet & Apple Pay. Tap Next after successful verification of your bank or issuer to complete the setup.
The Growth Center does not constitute professional tax or financial advice. You should contact your own tax or financial professional to discuss your situation.