Manage my business

How to Call the IRS

It’s almost tax season and we want to make sure you’re ready. This post will provide you with the information you need to know how to call the IRS. These IRS phone numbers include resources for self-employed, as well as some scams to avoid.

What’s the IRS phone number?

The main IRS phone number is 800-829-1040.

How can I speak to a live person at the IRS?

The IRS has multiple ways for taxpayers or concerned citizens to reach out to them. We’ve put together a list of IRS phone numbers that may come in handy to you below.

Remember, you can reach the IRS in multiple ways. The government agency’s internet presence is strong now. It’s quite simple to see how to check your refund status with just a few clicks.

IRS Tax Help Line for IndividualsFor those who want info on their 1040-type returns800-829-1040
Business and Specialty Tax LineFor small businesses, corporations, partnerships and trusts for info or help on business-related issues800-829-4933
Refund HotlineAutomated line available 24/7 about your refund status800-829-1954
Forms and PublicationsFor anybody who needs info about tax forms800-829-3676
National Taxpayer Advocate’s Help LineFor those whose tax problems haven’t been resolved through normal channels877-777-4778
Telephone Device for the DeafLine for the hearing-impaired to received tax information and help800-829-4059
Taxpayer Advocacy PanelA line for people to suggest ideas or suggestions on how the IRS can improve888-912-1227
Electronic Federal Tax Payment SystemsFor those who want to pay business or individual taxes through electronic transfer800-555-4477
Extension to File Tele-File SystemFor those who want to submit an Extension to File for a 1040-series888-796-1074

Where is my refund phone number?

You can call the Tax Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also use the online Where’s My Refund tool.

What time can I call the IRS?

You can call the Tax Assistance Hotline at 1-800-829-1040. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST.

How do you report someone to the IRS anonymously?

You can report IRS fraud by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Beware of IRS scams by phone

Every single year, there are thousands of scammers who try to trick people over the phone. The IRS has warned against this multiple times but the bad guys continue to do it.

Often, the scams revolve around people on the phone saying you owe taxes. They often try to scare you into the penalties (even threatening jail) unless you send them money.

Some of these IRS phone scams are quite sophisticated, too. The caller ID may be spoofed to look like official IRS numbers. The scammers may also have accurate information about you—things you’d think that only the IRS would know.

The IRS will sometimes call you but this is often after they’ve contacted you through other means or if you’ve requested a call. The IRS will never:

  • Call you about taxes you owe without first mailing you an official IRS notice
  • Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the chance to question or appeal the amount they say you owe
  • Require a certain payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card
  • Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone
  • Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying

About the author

Marin Perez

Marin is part of the marketing team at Microsoft. He's excited to see how entrepreneurs can better start, manage and grow their businesses.

Get started with Microsoft 365

It’s the Office you know, plus the tools to help you work better together, so you can get more done—anytime, anywhere.

Buy Now
Related content
Manage my business

Saving taxes with an S Corporation

Read more
Manage my business

What it means to incorporate a business

Read more
Manage my business

5 tax-saving tips high earners can use to reduce their taxable income

Read more
Manage my business

How the self-employed can deduct health insurance costs

Read more

The Growth Center does not constitute professional tax or financial advice. You should contact your own tax or financial professional to discuss your situation.