Frequently asked questions
Project, or Project for the web and Project Online
Project for the web is the most recent offering for cloud-based project management. It enables you to work in a grid (list), board, or timeline (Gantt) view. Designed to be easy to start and simple to use, you and your team can manage and collaborate on the same project at the same time.
Project for the web is built on the Microsoft Power Platform while Project Online is built on Microsoft SharePoint. Learn more.
Project for the web is available in Project Plan 1, Project Plan 3, and Project Plan 5.
Both Project Plan 3 and Project Plan 5 include:
- Project for the web
- Project Online
- Project Online desktop client
Learn more about the distinctions between the two plans.
Yes, you can. Project Online Essentials is available for purchase either through your Microsoft 365 admin center or your Volume Licensing agreement. Learn more about what’s included in this subscription on the Project service description page.
Project Plan 1 and Project Online Essentials are different subscriptions:
Project Plan 1
- Technology: Project for the web and Microsoft Power Platform
- Who it’s for: Anyone who manages projects as a part of their job
- How the subscription works: A Project Plan 1 subscription is independent from a Project Plan 3 or Project Plan 5 subscription. Plan 1 only works with projects created in the Project for the web service, which is a part of the Project Plan 1, Project Plan 3, and Project Plan 5 subscriptions.
- Description: Project Plan 1 offers core, web-based capabilities such as scheduling, creating project teams, assigning tasks, and displaying multiple views like grid (list), board, and timeline (Gantt).
Project Online Essentials
- Technology: Project Online and SharePoint
- Who it’s for: Team members
- How the subscription works: Project Online Essentials only connects to the Project Online service accompanying either a Project Plan 3 or Project Plan 5 subscription within the tenant.
- Description: Project Online Essentials features a web-based interface that allows users to submit timesheets and update tasks, issues, and risks only in projects created within Project Online.
Project management (desktop)
Windows 10 or later is required to install Project Professional 2019 and Project Standard 2019. These versions have the same Office system requirements.
Project for the web and Project Online follows the same browser support as Microsoft 365. Learn more about the Microsoft 365 browser requirements.
You can install Project Online desktop client on up to 5 PCs.
Project plans from earlier versions of Project can be used in Project 2019 by providing users all the benefits of the current product. To avoid compatibility issues when sharing your new Project files with Project 2007 users, save your project as a Project 2007 file format. (Note: Project 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010 share the same file format.)
The core features of the two products are identical with one exception. Project Online desktop client includes Kanban boards. Project Professional has a perpetual license. Once activated, the software will not expire. Use of the Project Online desktop client requires an active Project Plan 3 or Project Plan 5 subscription.
Microsoft Project and portfolio management
Project Plan 5 is our online project portfolio management product while Project Server 2019 is our on-premise project portfolio management product.
The Project Plan 5 system requirements align with the ones for Microsoft 365 while Project Server 2019 aligns with the SharePoint Server system requirements.
Project Server 2019 cannot coexist with previous versions of Project Server. More information about upgrade and migration planning for Project Server is available by visiting the Project Server documentation site.
No, Project Server 2019 does not include SharePoint Server 2019. However, you need to install SharePoint 2019 before you install Project Server 2019. Find out more information on hardware and software requirements for Project Server by visiting the Project Server documentation site.