Analyze structured and unstructured data
Use the language and platform of your choice
Breakthrough performance and scalability of your database
Access to rich, interactive Power BI reports on any device
View the new capabilities of SQL Server 2019
Break down data silos
Gain insights from all your data by querying across your entire data estate without moving or replicating the data.
Intelligent database capabilities
Upgrade and modernize your SQL Server database on-premises, in the cloud, and at the edge. Database compatibility certification eliminates the risk of application incompatibility.
Built-in security and compliance
Use built-in features for data classification, data protection, and monitoring and alerts. SQL Server 2019 monitors, identifies, and provides alerts on suspicious activity.
Encrypt all of your data
Encrypt sensitive data and execute rich computations on encrypted data, plus enable customized data access based on role with complex row filtering.
Gain mission-critical uptime, fast failover, and improved TCO using cloud disaster recovery replicas and always on availability groups. New Software Assurance benefit! Get a free SQL Server license for Disaster Recovery (DR) in Azure.
Accelerated database recovery
Greatly improves database availability by enabling fast and consistent database recovery regardless of the number or size of active transactions.
Self-service BI on any device
Explore visual data and quickly discover patterns to make better, faster decisions with Power BI Report Server, which is included with your SQL Server Software Assurance license.
Highly scalable cloud services
Build highly intelligent, scalable cloud database services on Azure with the broadest SQL Server engine compatibility. Migrate existing apps or build new apps on Azure-the best cloud destination for your mission-critical SQL Server workloads
- Big Data Clusters: Big Data Clusters gives you the ability to combine structured and unstructured data in SQL Server with the power Apache Spark™ and HDFS built in to the SQL Server engine to gain transformative insights from your data.
- Data Virtualization: Query across data stored in Oracle, Teradata, other SQL Servers, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Cosmos DB, Cloudera, Azure Data Lake, or the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) without moving or replicating the data
- Intelligent Database: Family of intelligent database features such as Intelligent query processing improve query performance with no application change. Customers will see performance benefits without any application change just by upgrading to SQL Server 2019.
- In-Memory Database: Improve performance for mission-critical workloads with in-memory database capabilities like persistent memory support and memory optimized tempdb metadata.
- Secure Enclaves: Always Encrypted with secure enclaves protects sensitive customer data while allowing richer operations on secured database columns. A secure enclave extends client applications’ trust boundary to the server side. While it is contained by the SQL Server environment, the secure enclave is not accessible to SQL Server, the operating system, or to the database or system administrators. These properties allow the secure enclave to safely perform operations on sensitive data in plaintext.
- Extensibility: We now offer free Java language integration with SQL Server. Customers now have the ability to leverage Java for free with SQL Server 2019.
- Accelerated database recovery enables fast and consistent database recovery irrespective of the number of active transactions in the system or their sizes
- By upgrading to SQL Server 2019, customers can move their Big Data workloads to SQL Server. Prior to SQL Server 2019, customers would manage their Big Data workloads in other Hadoop based on prem platforms. Now they can bring all their existing Big Data workloads to SQL Server 2019.
- Another key use case for customers is the ability to query external database using data virtualization feature. With built in connectors, customers can query directly query (oracle, Mongo DB, Teradata, Azure Data Lake, HDFS) without the need to physically move or replicate the data.
- Customers can achieve huge performance boost just by upgrading to SQL Server 2019 without any application change with features like Intelligent query processing and Accelerated database recovery.
SQL Server Big Data Clusters allow you to deploy scalable clusters of SQL Server, Spark, and HDFS containers running on Kubernetes. These components are running side by side to enable you to read, write, and process big data from Transact-SQL or Spark, allowing you to easily combine and analyze your high-value relational data with high-volume big data.
- Break Data silos with Data virtualization: By leveraging SQL Server PolyBase, SQL Server Big Data Clusters can query external data sources without moving or copying the data. SQL Server 2019 introduces new connectors to data sources.
- Build Data lakes in SQL Server: A SQL Server big data cluster includes a scalable HDFS storage pool. This can be used to store big data, potentially ingested from multiple external sources. Once the big data is stored in HDFS in the big data cluster, you can analyze and query the data and combine it with your relational data.
- Scale out Data Mart: SQL Server Big Data Clusters provide scale-out compute and storage to improve the performance of analyzing any data. Data from a variety of sources can be ingested and distributed across data pool nodes as a cache for further analysis.
- Integrated AI and Machine learning: SQL Server Big Data Clusters enable AI and machine learning tasks on the data stored in HDFS storage pools and the data pools. You can use Spark as well as built-in AI tools in SQL Server, using R, Python, Scala, or Java.
- App Deploy: App deployment allows you to deploy applications into SQL Server big data cluster as containers. These apps are exposed as web services for usage in your application. The apps you deploy have access to the data stored in the big data cluster and can be monitored easily
There is no price increase for SQL Server 2019.
There is no price increase and we are also adding 3 new SA benefits for customers to make SA an attractive proposition for our customers.
Every Software Assurance customer of SQL Server will be able to leverage three new enhanced benefits for any SQL Server release that is still supported by Microsoft:
- A free on-premises sync replica for High Availability.
- A free on-premises async replica for Disaster Recovery.
- A free Azure async replica for a Cloud Disaster Recovery as part of Azure Hybrid Benefit.
- SA Customers will get 8 big Data nodes free with enterprise edition or 1 Big Data node with standard edition. They can get started right away with the Big Data workload using that entitlement.
- With a free Azure async replica, you can start attaching Azure to your existing SQL Server accounts. It is a great benefit for the customer as they can start leveraging Azure for their business continuity planning. This benefit is part of AHB and only available in Azure.
A SQL Server 2019 Big Data Cluster consists of two distinct components:
- SQL Server Master Instance is SQL Server 2019 Enterprise or Standard Edition on Linux with all the typical features.
- Big Data Nodes are the worker nodes with HDFS, Spark built into SQL Server engine for scale-out storage and compute.
Customers who wish to run Big Data clusters need the following:
- They upgrade to SQL Server 2019 either enterprise or standard thru SA and use that as their master instance
- As part of SA, they will get 8 big Data nodes free with enterprise edition or 1 Big Data node with standard edition. They can get started right away with the Big Data workload using that entitlement. OR
- They have the option to purchase additional Big Data nodes thru subscription SKU. Please see the license guide for more info on the BDC pricing.